Help me find a camera please >.<

Guest !Lei

Guest !Lei

I'm not really sure where this thread goes, if it's here or in the help section, anyways, I'll try out my luck.
Requests and specifics:
Something preferably compact, or at least not bulky as a DSLR, like those regular digital cameras (but they can be "thick" like DSLR's if they have to be but not as big as one) something I can just put in a handbag but with good resolution without it being grainy or pixelated when I have it printed to at least bondpaper size (idk what MB size I'm looking for ). :)
Preferred brands are either Nikon, Canon, Samsung, Sony :)
Photography would be people type of photography, memory-kinds (with your friends hanging out in some restaurant), most photos would usually be souvenirs but the biggest picture I'd probably print out is a long sized bondpaper (11"x13"), mostly INDOOR type with CRAPPY lighting like, "dim" indoors or candle-lit or just sucky lighting, and I'd like to point out that I LOATHE using flash because it makes the background dark (or maybe I just don't know how to set it :(
I would probably need something that has "anything" like features that can help enhance what people look like? (tl;dr photoshop inside the camera? idk, something like I can selectively enhance people's features, skin or whatnot ) So, since I prefer not using flash, I think I'm also looking for a camera that has fast shutter speed. SOmething I can use to take pictures of moving people without using flash and without making them look blurred.
So far, what I was able to look at was the Samsung Smart Camera.. But I'm open to suggestions. I'm really sick of taking pics in flash even while indoors :( And it looks so..ugh, natural (even if dim) lighting, looks better IMO.
Please help anyone, if you have any other questions or if you would need me to expound, just tell me. :) thank youu so much in advance. I'm desperate because I'm going to be leaving everyone soon. :( I'm tired of photoshopping the lighting. :(

Guest !Lei

Oh ,sorry about that. :(
Preferably less than $250 dollars but I'll stop at $450 if I have to, but I'm really not looking for anything bulky though :)
I think I'm just looking for point-and-shoot but with great quality pics for printing to 2 long bondpaper sizes, that doesn't come out gritty, pixelated and blurred, something that doesn't require me to have the steadiest hand in the world (and a "camera" tripod stand or something like that) I'll probably take pics of moving people and the most random and possible lighting ever (from dawn lighting- to indoor flourescent house/resto lighting, to night parties at clubs and bars) without using the horrid flash (or if I must have flash, something that still looks good anyway) :D SOmething with fast shutter speed (like if I have to take a photo of my jumping dog outside on a cloudy-dark-ish day)

Panasonic LX5 can sometimes be had for $200 "like new" on Amazon or about $250 after a gift card; $350 range for new when I checked today. Canon S95 still in the $350 range. Olympus XZ1 is another one out there. There's a few decent Sony models with the EXMOR sensor.
Canon S100 isn't a great update. LX7 is supposed to be announced July 17th so you might want to see if that is any better. 

Guest !Lei

Thanks orangeman, will be looking into those cameras. Btw, would you recommend looking for Sony cameras with the "Exmor" sensor? I'm not really sure what the "technical" terms are for my requests, would you be able to tell me what they are please? :D
Should I just say, I'm looking for a Sony camera with Exmor? or should I be more specific like, "fast shutter speed, [insert specs here]" or what? what are the terms I should mention to the salesperson?
Sorry, I'm really a newbie at cameras, I'm just not sure which one to get, I just need a good camera minus the bulk of a DSLR. XD the weight of the DSLR just discourages me from picking one up. Haha

I typed Exmor on Amazon and it'll usually only get you Sony results. This sensor is used on most of their new products and supposed to be quite good in low-light conditions. The models I looked at a while back where from the NEX series but in your price bracket, the common models are in the HX-series. Some other models are cheaper but I don't know about Sony cameras beyond this sensor. Would not mention it to the salesperson and suggest you do your own research first before being sold the special of the week.
You can also go for those four-thirds or whatever they call them now. Can't say the sensor is a vast improvement but the choice of lens is an advantage. Price might be out of range but sometimes they have pretty drastic deals.

Guest !Lei

Four-thirds?
Choice of lens you say? So, it all depends on the camera lens for these kinds of photos? But arent the ones with interchangeable lenses usually DSLR's? I don't think I'm familiar with any digicams that have interchangeable lenses?
sorry for late rep, couldn't go online :(

Guest echoism

Four-thirds is a new type of camera. They are somewhere between a point & shoot and a DSLR: they have a smaller sensor than the usual DSLR (but bigger than point & shoots) for better image quality and smaller size, and they also have interchangeable lenses. 
Honestly, I would skip them. As orangeman said, the image quality isn't a big improvement, and in general they're only a little smaller than a DSLR. I used to have an Olympus one, but I ended up just selling it and going back to using a DSLR, since the portability was about the same in the end.
I used to have a Panasonic LX3, which is the older version of the LX5, and they're quite nice. A little too big to fit in a pocket, but very portable, and they have a great wide lens, and its large aperture of 2.0 means you can get better low-light shots without using flash or turning up the ISO. I'd highly recommend it.

Guest !Lei

^ wow. Thanks. I'm such a newbie at these things really. :D Thanks.I never thought about looking for a panasonic camera. Usually I hear about only Canon and Nikon. >_< But they're all DSLR's and just looking at one makes me too lazy to bring it. So I'm looking for a big "aperture" :D
I'll check out the LX3 or look for the LX5. I'm not really particular about getting the highest quality pics, not planning to be in photography or anything, but I would love a camera that just delivers great pics =)
I will check it out. :D Thank youuu :)

Archived