Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[drama 2008] Bittersweet Life 달콤한 인생 (la Dolce Vita)

Replies

• koalabearkoalabear Whole Hearted Happiness PhilippinesPosts: 3,810Member

IDOL

edited July 2008
    thanks baduy for another spot translation...good to have you back ^ ^

last set of screencaps from Episode 18/preview for Episode 19

src: Seattle @ La Dolce Vita DC

anyway members of LDV's DC Inside Gallery got a chance to meet the stars and the PD of the drama yesterday, July 1...will post the pics later

IDOL

edited July 2008
    here are pics from The LDV DC Event

credits to: wiedersehen, bbo2, 쌉싸름, 연못지기 of LDV DC

please do not hotlink!

Autographs

PD Kim Jin-man

Jung Bo-seok

Lee Dong-wook

Lee Il-hwa

Oh Yeon-soo

a related message posted at Oh Yeon-soo's Cyworld

디시인갤러리~~~

2008.07.02 00:37

오늘 디시인 달인갤러리에서 촬영장을 오셨다

스텝들과 배우들 먹을 음식들을 너무 많이 가지고.....

이럴때마다 배우나 스텝들은 신이난다....

비록 시청률은 저조하지만

8%의 고정 시청자들을 위해서 끝까지 열심히 촬영해야지......

그분들의 정성과 달인을향한 애정을보면

힘이난다....

가져오신음식 맛있게 먹었어요...

스텝을 대신해서 인사드릴께요....

24부끝날때까지 계속 지켜봐주세요...

끝나고 나서두 오래도록 기억해 주시구요....

감사합니다...^^

갤에가서 글을 남겨야하는데

아직 가입을 안해서....

어느분이 퍼가주세요....

she said that she was thankful for the viewers who keep watching the series and they will keep working hard until the very last episode
  • baduybaduy UKPosts: 2,547Member

SUPERSTAR

edited July 2008
    Thanks so much, koalabear for sharing all those goodies. But hey, I hope it's only the inner circle of privileged fans who have to have cardboard cutout smiley face transplants. My own bearded and wrinkled mug is no thing of beauty, but I'd prefer to keep it for the time being, much as I like this drama.

And as regards the ep 18 screencaps. The very last one isn't actually from ep 18 at all. It briefly flashes up among the ep 19 teaser/previews after the actual in-so-many-words cliffhanger. The actual last shot is the one before it, where DA really is hanging on over the brink. And given the mischief that earlier Kdramas have got up to with misleading teaser/previews, we can't be 100% certain that she's going to be hauled back up. Though it's pretty likely, because she deserves more comeuppance than a quick "ballistic descent" [That was the euphemism used for the inelegant -- not to speak of highly risky -- return to terra firma of the first Korean cosmonaut, caused by a miscalculation on the part of the Russian engineers that caused the re-entry capsule to drop like a rock instead of entering the atmosphere in a steadily degrading spiral orbit as planned]

Just how nasty and prolonged a demise DA deserves will be obvious already to those who could follow the Korean dialog of last weekend's episodes, and it will become clearer to other people after they've read my spoilers below. I hope to scrape enough time to reveal at least some of the ep18 goodies (in which DA gets up to even more misdeeds, including those that are the immediate cause of her precarious episode-ending position), but as before, I can't promise anything.

For the rest of this post SPOILERS.

[ep 17 00:30:45]

Ex-detective Park comes to JS's apartment block. The janitor tells him the shady guys are still watching the place.

Park goes up to JS's apartment, and joins him in a pizza JS has just concocted. As they munch, JS admits to Park that the traces he found of SG apparently visiting Paris in January and using his credit card after that (which Park had reported to President Kang, creating his suspicion that he was involved in SG's death) are fake: it was indeed JS using SG's card and the passport he forged. Park says he'd figured that out already, but it's good to have it confirmed. But why did he do that? By way of answer, JS tells Park more or less what he already told HJ. He was on the peak with SG at Christmas time, and SG did indeed fall down the precipice, but it was an accident. So why didn't you report it to the Japanese police? Park wants to know. He didn't think they would have believed his story, JS replies. Why shouldn't they have? Park wonders. Could it be that JS wanted to take the chance of assuming SG's identity for a time? Maybe, JS responds. Yes, he has to admit he couldn't resist the urge to seize the chance of living like SG for a while. So now, comments Park, the problem is how to prove that SG's death was an accident, even though JS didn't report it at the time and took advantage of it later. Can you help me prove that? JS asks Park. Is everything you told me true? Park asks. Yes, please believe me, says JS.

Then, out of the blue, as JS makes that plea, Park suddenly asks, "So who was driving?". JS is plainly startled. "When that girl fell from the car and was killed" Park continues. JS admits he was the driver. He knew she was being assaulted, so why did he just keep driving, Park wants to know. His job was just to keep feeding the crocodile, says JS, picking up one of the descriptions SG once applied to his role. So he can't say for certain exactly how the girl came to fall from the car? When he stopped the girl was already some way behind them on the roadway? That's how it was, JS confirms. And how did SG react at the time? He just laughed, JS replies. He laughed?? Yes, he was so drunk it seemed like he didn't really understand what had happened, JS says. And you didn't call the police? No, JS admits. And you were too busy concentrating on driving to see exactly what SG did? So that's how it is, says Park sounding rather despondent. On both occasions there were no eye-witnesses. But the important thing is that the you are the only person still alive who was present. Give the matter some thought.

It seems as though he is very keen to learn more about the girl's death from JS who is, Park emphasises, the only surviving witness. We sense that this may be somehow tied in with some of the other strands of Park's investigations. Could it have something to do with that unjustly executed prisoner and his family, a motif that hasn't been mentioned for several weeks, but which was surely not introduced so emphatically only to be dropped for good from the plot?

We cut to a brief, and apparently insignificant scene where Mrs Lee comes upon HJ reading a book while taking a breather during a tour she's guiding. What, you have time for reading novels? Mrs. Lee asks wryly. Ah, but this is actually work, HJ explains. She's been commissioned to translate it. [And just as well, after what happens in the next episode, which is why this little incident isn't really insignificant after all...] You should be writing novels, not translating them, Mrs Lee says. What would I write a novel about? A cheating husband, of course, says Mrs Lee. Hey that's an idea, why don't they collaborate on writing a bestseller drawing on their combined experiences. They could split the royalties and live in comfort.

HJ heads off to meet her kids from Hagwon. On the way she takes a call from JS on her cellphone, asking her what time she finishes work. She has already, she tells him, but... OK OK I know, he says and hangs up, before she has time to remind him to keep his promise not to call at her apartment again for the time being.

[00:40:18]

HJ arrives by taxi outside the Hagwon to meet her kids. As HJ in the background walks towards the Hagwon entrance, the camera tracks left, and in the foreground we see DA, waiting in her car. Seeing HJ, she gets out and crosses the road coming up behind her and saying "Are you waiting for your kids? And when HJ looks round at her in startled silence, she adds "you're going to find it difficult to see your children for some time to come".

HJ: What are you talking about?
    DA: I've been working a bit on Dong Won. I put some photos of you on his firm's web site.
    HJ: What photos?
    DA: Ones of you with a man on each hand, wondering which one to throw away
    HJ: You did what?! You've no right to get involved in this.
    DA: And what right did you have to go after two men at the same time? Last time we met I didn't manage to make myself plain to you but today I'll spell it out.
    HJ: Provided I have my children, that's all I want.
    DA: You don't say? You think you'll get them with pictures like that of you on the Internet?
    HJ: Did you really do something so vile?
    DA: Yes
    HJ: Why?!
    DA: I don't want you to end up keeping everything.
    HJ: I told you already. Provided I keep the children I want nothing else. If I'm parted from my children what possible benefit is that to you?
    DA: You need to ask? Never heard of jealousy? I really feel great today. At first I'd intended to let you come to the Hagwon for the children and catch a glance of their upset faces before you were turned away, but that seemed too cruel, so they were told in advance.

And Da Ae smiles, turns, and walks back across the road towards her car. "Just a minute" HJ calls after her, and after a brief intercut of JS calling round at Scarlett and finding DA's not there, we find HJ sitting angry and desolate on a park bench with DA standing defiantly opposite her.

DA: Remember when we last met, I said we'd each suffered a wound, and you asked me how I could think that? How you mocked me for not knowing what a wound really meant? (DA leans back against the tree trunk behind her) On my way back home I thought really hard about it. Whether you really knew how fond I was of Joon Soo... So just you think about it. What really does matter most to you? (DJ gets to her feet and DA stands back upright again for a direct face-off) You can't have it all for yourself. Dong Won will not let you have the children. You can't have the children and walk out on him. It's like the woodcutter and the fairy. If you don't want to lose your children, go begging to Dong Won. If you don't want to go begging to him, say goodbye to your kids.

(Another little smile from DA. HJ's jaw and lips move ever so slightly, twice, as if she is going to say something; but she remains speechless. But not humiliated or defeated. Unlike DA, HJ is beyond the point where she gets floored then bounces back with the help of a bout of shopping therapy or a new perfume. She has of necessity learned to be tough, and she takes blows on the chin, not like a man, as the cliché has it, but like a woman who knows her own worth and her own rights and will stand her ground to the last. All the more fool DA for thinking she has grounds for triumph and self-congratulation.)

Cut to HJ wearily walking up the hill to her old house. She is standing at the gate wondering whether to go in when Seong Sook drives up -- in what used to be HJ's car [!] and dressed in smarter and more expensive clothes than before, though she plainly hasn't yet learned how to wear them, as distinct from just putting them on. She greets her supposed old friend with a cheery smile and asks her what must be a close runner up for that Stupidest Kdrama Question of the Year award
    SS: What are you standing there like that for? You're back at your own home. What's stopping you from going in?
    HJ: Nari and Narae weren't at Hagwon.
    SS: Dong Won took them to his sister's house [That's Auntie Ogre who bans snacks between meals, and where the kids begged their mother never to be sent again after her return from Otaru] But come on, let's go in. We can talk inside.
    (And she walks calmly past her into the gateway as if she owned the place. Then, when HJ looks very doubtful and doesn't budge, she turns and flashes her another sickly sweet big smile: "What's the matter. Hurry up and come on in!"
    Clearly not sure whether she's doing the right thing, HJ complies.

Cut to Da Ae back at her store. Joon Soo just came and went, Myeong Ja tells her. Da Ae is surprised to hear it, but more preoccupied with what she thinks she's just achieved. She sinks wearily on to the sofa "Jeez, I don't want to stop this. It just keeps getting better. The further I go, the harder is gets to stop." But there are tears in her eyes and voice.

Back to HJ's old house. She is still only in the entrance hallway, looking around her as if at the home of an acquaintance whom she barely knows and somehow doesn't like. The sense - for us and for her - of intruding into someone else's space is heightened by the way that SS continues to play the lady of the manor, giving orders to the Ajumma and hearing her complaints about the dog. Poor old dubiously-named Bok Soon takes refuge under the sofa, and HJ bends down to rescue and cuddle him/her, ignoring SS' breezy invitation to stay for supper. Still cradling Bok Soon in her arms (and noticeably keeping her purse over her arm like someone who has no intention of making herself "at home") she goes into the girls' bedroom and sits lost in thought, memories and fears on Nari's empty bed. Then an abrupt cut to HJ walking quickly out the front door and to the gate, still with the dog in her arms. SS comes running out after her. "Hey, Dong Won will be coming home early today. Wait and you'll meet him face to face. If you keep behaving like this, you and Dong Won will just grow further and further apart." (HJ walks out the gate and off down the street, taking no notice whatever) "You're so stubborn", SS calls after her as she disappears from view [following up with one of the 20 million untranslateable Korean proverbs, but I'm too tired to tackle that one right now. You get her drift anyway, I'm sure...]

Most of the remainder of the episode probably needs no spot translation, as the "delivery man" turns up, bringing not only masses of food, but equipment to cook it on. After the ordeal she's been through, HJ is in no mood to hold him to his promise from earlier in the day...

Just a couple of details of what's said, though, to help out with some of the crucial moments of their talk.

As they sit and eat [00:53:36 onward] (or rather JS eats while HJ sits silently watching him) JS is animatedly telling HJ how tomorrow he'll go and buy more things to furnish her apartment and make it more homey. When HJ does finally speak it's to say "My heart is brimful with thoughts of my children. There's no space for anything else." And after refusing his offer of a glass of wine ("later maybe") she says "I'm sorry. Though I'm with you, all I can think of are my children". "If it's because of me you're so sad, then just tell me" he says. "How could you help that?", she replies. "Are you sure it's not because of me? Did meeting me really bring you more good things than bad?". "If I hadn't met you", she answers "I would already be dead". At that point, the theme song begins and he holds her hand to his cheek.

"I'll be going then" he says. He picks up his coat and stands in the doorway. "You mustn't cry during the night. All the way from my apartment, I'll hear you if you cry. So don't make me break my promise and come back over". But he still can't bring himself to go. He stands with his back to the entrance door and says "Why can't we just live together? I don't want to spend a moment apart from you. ... I'd settle down if I were to stay by your side." She comes over to him and he kneels and embraces her waist while she strokes his head. "So why do I always need to be leaving like this? Just a little while... a little while longer, then I'll go".

IDOL

QUOTE (baduy @ Jul 3 2008, 05:07 AM) »
    Thanks so much, koalabear for sharing all those goodies. But hey, I hope it's only the inner circle of privileged fans who have to have cardboard cutout smiley face transplants. My own bearded and wrinkled mug is no thing of beauty, but I'd prefer to keep it for the time being, much as I like this drama.

And as regards the ep 18 screencaps. The very last one isn't actually from ep 18 at all. It briefly flashes up among the ep 19 teaser/previews after the actual in-so-many-words cliffhanger. The actual last shot is the one before it, where DA really is hanging on over the brink. And given the mischief that earlier Kdramas have got up to with misleading teaser/previews, we can't be 100% certain that she's going to be hauled back up. Though it's pretty likely, because she deserves more comeuppance than a quick "ballistic descent" [That was the euphemism used for the inelegant -- not to speak of highly risky -- return to terra firma of the first Korean cosmonaut, caused by a miscalculation on the part of the Russian engineers that caused the re-entry capsule to drop like a rock instead of entering the atmosphere in a steadily degrading spiral orbit as planned]

Just how nasty and prolonged a demise DA deserves will be obvious already to those who could follow the Korean dialog of last weekend's episodes, and it will become clearer to other people after they've read my spoilers below. I hope to scrape enough time to reveal at least some of the ep18 goodies (in which DA gets up to even more misdeeds, including those that are the immediate cause of her precarious episode-ending position), but as before, I can't promise anything.

thanks for clarifying the screencaps as I was kind of mislead haha...I haven't seen Episode 18 yet so was confused with posting the pics but anyway I'll watch it tomorrow

with the DC Inside Event..maybe they were too shy to show their faces, sans with the smiley faces all over but I bet the cast appreciated all the gifts they gave to them...I can just say that they were so lucky ^ ^
  • baduybaduy UKPosts: 2,547Member

SUPERSTAR

edited July 2008
    We may have thought things were grim enough for HJ (and Joon Soo) but in this episode, after briefly appearing to reach be in sight of something like a stable high point, they start to go downhill very rapidly.

Here's the best shot I can manage in the time I had available at a cheat sheet for viewers with little or no Korean. As before, this doesn't attempt to be a complete summary, and it consists from start to finish of SPOILERS.

I'll start by spot translating just the very first of the long exchanges between JS and DW that take up the first third or so of this episode, just to give a flavor of their interaction. This is out on the street outside HJ's apartment, where DW, who's been sitting in his car, has just seen JS come out.

DW: Aren't you a bit young for this sort of thing?
    JS: If you've something to say to me, let's go someplace else.
    DW: What?
    JS: This isn't just a matter between the two of us.
    (DW crosses the street)
    DW: Youn Hae Jin is my wife. Things to do with our marriage are none of your business.
    JS: I suppose you'd say the same thing about Da Ae. That your relationship with Da Ae is none of my business either?
    DW: Quite right! How long have you known Da Ae? Since last Fall? No more than a year at any rate. ... It makes sense now. Why you appeared and started ruining my life.
    JS: Neither Da Ae nor Hae Jin are your property.
    DW: What?! (He makes to hit JS, but then decides against it)
    DW: I can't waste time talking to a punk like you!
    (He turns to go into house, but JS holds him back)
    JS: Leave Hye Jin be!
    DW: Hye Jin?! You dare call my wife by her first name to my face?
    JS: Please spare her any more distress right now.
    DW: So you're as close as that?

We go inside the apartment and find HJ looking at the photo of her children, then picking up from behind it the picture JS took of her at the snow festival in Otaru and couldn't bring himself to destroy along with the rest of the evidence of his stay. Her thoughts appear in voiceover.

HJ: I'm not even sure if it's really because of the kids. Maybe I'm just using the kids as an excuse because I'm afraid of falling in love again with someone at my age.

(Then going across to where the dog is lying, her living link with her children, despite being a present from Da Ae, she squats down in front of it and her thoughts continue)

HJ: They say love is like a flame*, a flame that thrills us with its vitality and joy. But what to do about the emptiness it leaves behind?

[* or maybe a firework. I've remarked in an earlier post on the difficulty of deciding between "flame" and "firework" when translating the word "불꽃" in this drama. Of course, the dictionaries say a firework has to be "불꽃놀이" but not even culturally obedient Koreans do what dictionaries tell them when it comes to writing and speaking their own language, thank goodness, and 불꽃 alone is often used for 'firework'. Added to which, at the level of the underlying roots, 불꽃 is itself a compound, "fire-flower". Although that isn't something native speakers are aware of unless they think about it, in this particular drama with its haunting theme song ("내안의 꽃처럼 자라던 사랑은... : Love that grew like a flower within me...") there's a set of subconscious connections here between "flaming", "flowering" ... and therefore also with "withering away" that get completely lost in English...]

HJ: If I'd pretended not to know. Or if I'd waited before telling my husband I'd cheated on him...If I hadn't admitted it... But then if I'd pretended not to know, he might have still have deserted me. Maybe if I hadn't done anything, if I'd just died instead of going to Hokkaido and meeting Joon Soo there (She looks up at the photo of her at Otaru, then suddenly gets to her feet and rushes out of the apartment into the night street, hoping Joon Soo will still be there. She then starts to run down the street peering in all directions)
    HJ: But no... I can't regret it. Meeting Joon Soo brought a unique flame into my life. I might have lived till my dying day without experiencing it. That surge of delight that shattered my body. (She stops running along the street, realizing Joon Soo has gone. There's a yelp at her feet. Its Bok-Soon, wondering why she's run out. She picks up and cuddles the dog, still looking in vain for any sign of Joon Soo).

[00:04:19] The scene with DW and JS in the bar is too long for spot translation, and not easy to summarize (it wouldn't be the fine piece of dramatic writing it is otherwise). One line alone, though, should give some sense of the spin it gives to the rest of the episode and the drama. After hearing all DW has to say, and speaking his own mind, JS draws a grim but determined conclusion, in almost his final words before he leaves DW to drink himself silly at the bar and goes back to find HJ.

JS: She will die. If she goes back to you, Youn Hye Jin will die. She has not the slightest chance of surviving. That would mean spending the rest of her life in subjection to you. I can't let that happen. Even if it means I have to die myself.

The scenes when JS returns to find JS outside her apartment also need little comment. Most experienced KDrama viewers will picked up enough basic Korean to understand well enough what it is that JS shouts out loud to the sleeping neighborhood without any translation. When they are back in the apartment the main flow of emotion is also fairly easy to follow by expression and tone of voice alone, so I will just translate the very last thing JS says to HJ as he stands facing her, holding her by both arms, having just asked her if she's afraid of the future and she has gently shook her head. [00:21:50]

JS: I realize that recently I've been very mixed up. I've had a lot of complicated problems, but they're nearly all resolved. Please just be patient a little longer. I will put them all be behind me and I'll be completely free.

Then HJ's voiceover as she watches JS playing with the dog [00:25:47]

HJ: For the first time I felt jealous [toward the dog, she means]. Strange, but seeing him in front of me looking so happy made me jealous. Was I capable of giving him happiness like that?

The next wonderful main sequence from 00:26:24 needs no spot translation at all, and hardly any commentary (though of course, without understanding what was revealed about the relationship between Joon Soo and his "sister"/mother in the earlier episode when the took DA to meet her, this scene now would make no sense)

At [00:31:14] When JS is back on his motorbike, taking leave of his "sister"/mother:

- Always wear it round your neck. To keep off the sea breeze
    - But it's too expensive for that!
    - Please promise me. That you'll never stop wearing it. . Come on!
    (She nods agreement)
    - Then I'll make you a promise in return. I'll never again argue about whether you're my sister or my mother.
    (She nods again, understanding and gratefully accepting what he means)
    - Next time you come, why not bring that girl along who was with you last time?
    - (JS smiles) She and I don't have that sort of relationship.
    - But I could see she was very fond of you.
    - There's a woman I love, but it's not her.
    - Really?
    - Yes.
    - In that case bring the woman you love along. I'll make her a really delicious maewoontang [=a fish stew with lots of chilli pepper: she obviously trusts her son to have picked a woman with truly fireproof Korean tastebuds] Is she your one and only love?
    - (After a long pause, JS says) Yes

[With the reconciliation between JS and his mother, and the tranquil confident toegetherness with HJ the previous night, the destinies of HJ and JS are at their highest point. From this moment on, its all downhill. We don't yet know what disasters await, but the direction in which the drama is heading from now on becomes only too clear as the next scene gets under way]

[00:33:01] DA is in her store, getting ready to go into action again. [Singing "a song", is all the script says here. The PD's choice of song - or was it maybe Park Shi-yeon's - is amusingly apt, though there's a sinister undertone beneath the Disneyism]
    DA: Unni, how do I look?
    MJ: Why do you ask?
    DA: Do I look pretty?
    MJ: What are you up to? You're making me nervous.
    DA: Do I look like a wicked witch, then?
    MJ: Don't do this. You're getting really scarey.
    DA: Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?
    MJ: But Da Ae, why the heck are you acting like this?
    DA: I'm done!

(Park appears in the street, looking in through the store window)

MJ: We haven't had a customer all day and now we get this old weirdo staring in.

(But DA clearly recognizes the visitor, and the purpose of her preparations is revealed)

DA: Unni, I'll be back soon

MJ: (Looking out after them) Who the hell's that?

In the cafe with DA sitting opposite Park

DA: You know who I am, don't you (Park just nods) There's just one thing I'm curious about. How did you find out I was connected to Joon Soo?
    P: That's rather a...(he begins, but she doesn't give him time to finish)
    DA: I just happened to be sorting through my calling cards this morning, and yours caught my eye. Now who was that? I thought. Ah yes! It was that man at the airport who stopped me leaving for Paris.
    P: So, did something come to your mind about Lee Joon Soo?
    DA: Answer my question first please. How did you find out about me?
    P: That would be a long story.
    DA: I've plenty of time.
    P: It was by way of someone you ... were connected with. Not Lee Joon Soo. That person asked me to find out discreetly whether you were having a relationship with someone.
    DA: It was Ho Dong Wan's wife who hired you, wasn't it? (Park shakes his head) So who was it, then?
    P: It was Ho Dong Wan himself.
    DA: So he actually did that! What a man! ... (As so often, Da Ae registers that she's taken a wrong path, but quickly sorts herself out again, and continues, though slightly less cockily) In that case, there's something you should know. Joon Soo and Dong Wan's wife went to Hokkaido together.
    P: Really...?
    DA: You know they both went there. But what you don't know is that they met up in Seoul and travelled together. ... That's significant, isn't it?
    [Park certainly thinks it is. Among other things, we realize that if it were true, it would mean that HJ may have been implicated in the death of SG, since if they knew each other already, a wish to be in a position to set up house with HJ after she left her husband using SG's wealth might have been a strong motive for JS to kill SG. And of course, setting up house with HJ is exactly what JS is planning to do, as DA very well knows and Park will soon find out. So not content to rob HJ of her children, DA has ideas of setting her up for a possible accessory to murder rap. Whether she also knows that she will be putting HJ in the sights of Kang's henchmen is unclear, but if she knew that was a possibility she would doubtless go for it. I said you'd want her to drop over that cliff after you'd finished reading my spoilers, didn't I?...]

(Thinking she's said all she needs to for her troublemaking purposes, DA stands up to go. But Park holds her back)

P: Just a minute, please (Da Ae sits back down) So Ho Dong Wan's wife and Lee Joon Soo had something going?
    DA: An affair, I'd say. Ho Dong Wan's wife.
    P: Hmmm. And they went to Hokkaido together?
    DA: Why don't you ask him? Joon Soo, I mean. Whether what I say is true. [Which she knows full well Park will do. And of course, JS in the following scene behaves in a way that suits DA's plans down to the ground when Park puts his questions]
    P: And you don't know since when the two of them had been having an relationship?
    DA: I'm not sure
    P: Did they meet for the first time on the way to Hokkaido?
    DA: Maybe it was before that.
    (Park ponders. DA pretends that a light has dawned)
    DA: It must have been before that, mustn't it? I bet they went to Hokkaido together to check something out.
    P: That could be right...
    DA: Anyway, I called you because I remembered that when I saw your business card. I expect there are a lot of questions you want to ask Joon Soo now.
    (And she gives a satisfied, and self-satisfied, smile. Park, by contrast, looks badly disappointed. He's wondering whether his instinct and experience had let him down badly when he concluded that JS was basically innocent, despite all the appearances. That's why he is looking so glum when he greets Joon Soo in the next scene)

[00:37:00] The basement parking lot of JS's apartment building, then up in the apartment itself.

Joon Soo is in a very cheerful mood. The visit to his sister/mother, and the way they parted, has clearly lifted an enormous burden from him. He's been enjoying the ocean breezes, he tells Park. One of the things he told HJ the previous evening he needed to get sorted out has apparently been settled. So what awaits him now is a truly shattering blow.

Park has surveillance photos of JS and HJ. At first, Park says, he thought she was just a chance bystander. "And that's right" says JS, though he plainly panicking inside, as Park can clearly see. Park reveals that he knows JS is lying and wants to know why. In particular he wants to know why JS told him nothing whatever about knowing HJ, even though he was with her on his trip to Otaru. Why should he have kept that a secret when he had asked the detective for help and promised to be completely truthful with him? JS's panic comes out into the open as he yells that HJ has nothing whatever to do with the death of GS and must be kept out of Park's investigations, but to Park, primed by DA with the false lead that the two of them knew each other beforehand and had secretly planned their trip to Hokkaido together, can't help but see this as protesting too much, maybe to hide a guilty secret and a dark plot. Had JS reacted less violently, instead of flying into a rage, virtually throwing Park out of his apartment and saying he no longer wants anything to do with him, the two of them might have teased out the real role and motive of DA in all this. But JS isn't interested in that. He knows the false "tip" about HJ and he having known each other before Hokkaido can only have come from DA, and he's after her blood. Pausing only to beat up the janitor for helping with Park's surveillance, he goes in search of her.

As soon as he arrives outside her store and she sees the look on his face, DA knows why he has come, and that her life is in danger. But she goes with him all the same. As she will tell him near the end of the episode, if she has to die, then she's happy to die at his hands. All the same, before she goes out to join JS in his car, she tells MJ to wait three hours, then attempt to phone her. If there's no answer, MJ is to call the police.

The fast and furious car journey, with neither JS nor his frightened passenger speaking, is intercut with all the remaining scenes, until it comes to the fore as the cliffhanger.

[00:42:25] SS shows up unexpectedly at HJ's apartment. She looks around her as if inspecting a sordid slum.

SS: Sheesh! How come you were so desperate to move here?
    HJ: How did you find out where it was?
    SS: I asked Woo Seok... Out you go. The kids are waiting down in the playground

(She explains that she didn't want the kids to be upset by seeing what sordid conditions their Mom is living in, so she left them outside)

The first part of her meeting with the girls, again wonderfully acted, needs no translation.

[00:44:31] HJ has taken the girls to a restaurant

HJ: Aren't you eating? ... Give it a try, the food's really nice here.
    Nari: Mom, do you live in that apartment block? ... I don't want to live in a place like that.
    HJ: It's only temporary. While I earn some money.
    Nari: And just how are you going to do that?
    HJ: I will. You think your Mom's stupid?
    Nari: Are you and Daddy getting divorced?
    HJ: No.
    Nari: But Auntie says you are.
    HJ: (Taken aback. Then turns to Narae and smiles) Are you really not hungry?
    Narae: (Reaches for her slice of pizza) I'm starving!!
    Nari: (Slaps Narae's hand to make her put down the pizza) Remember what you promised!
    Narae: (So she's too scared of big sister to eat, but there's something else she's got to ask...) How's Bok Soon?
    Nari: (Under her breath, disgusted at her sister's refusal to follow orders to freeze Mom out) Really!!!
    HJ: Nari!
    Nari: I'm going to live with Daddy. ... I'd hate being poor. (turning to Narae) And what about you?
    Narae: Me?
    Nari: Yes, say your piece
    Narae: I love Mommy.
    Nari: But you promised!!!
    (Narae is on the point of tears, but she won't be intimidated)
    Narae: And I love Bok Soon.
    Nari: Mommy. Why did you treat Daddy so badly?
    HJ: (To Narae again) Would you like to go see Bok Soon?
    Nari: I asked you why you treated Daddy so badly, didn't you hear?!

HJ realises how things have been set up, and abandons her attempt to have a normal meal with her kids like in the old days.

[00:46:55]
    HJ and the girls walking back toward her apartment from the restaurant. Nari walks on ahead, pretending not to be with her mother and sister who are walking hand in hand some way behind her. When Nari catches sight of SS coming toward them she squeals with delight and runs to embrace her.
    SS: Did your Mom treat you to something nice?
    Nari : Come on, let's go. We'll be late for Hagwon.
    And she gets into the car without the slightest glance back at her mother or sister.

HJ can't bear to look in their direction. But Narae stares at her sister with the utmost contempt of which an eight-year-old is capable. Then SS comes for her.
    SS: Narae and Mommy look sad.
    Narae: Mommy, why are you sad? I love you Mommy.
    (Reluctantly, she gets in the car with her sister)
    SS walks up to HJ and tells her sternly "Don't be like that with the kids. They know the score". Then she gets in the car and drives off, but not before Narae has wound down the window and waved goodbye with "I love you Mommy. Fighting!"

Once SS's back is turned and she's attempting to lead them in a jolly song as they drive along, oblivious to the fact that it's a solo performance, the misery Nari has been dutifully hiding shows itself. She did as she had promised as her part in putting pressure on her mother, having obviously been convinced that it's for her mother's good, but she's at one with her little sister in wondering where this ride is going to take them, beyond the Hagwon.

Meanwhile, HJ sits alone again in her apartment, with only Bok Soon for company. But her troubles aren't over yet. There's a knock at the door. It's Mrs Lee, bringing, with great embarassment and a heavy heart, bad news. The President of the travel agency has many obligations towards Dong Won. The company stock value is at risk... So HJ is fired. Not to worry, says HJ, clearly struggling to avoid tears. She has her translation work, and she can get another day job. She was finding the work as a tour guide a bit too demanding in any case. Mrs Lee isn't taken in by her show of good spirits: she assures her she has good contacts with other firms in the travel industry. She'll be able to come up with something for her.

Back at the house, SS has brought the kids home and is on the phone reporting back to DW. What, HJ saw the kids face to face but she didn't budge an inch, DW asks? "Never mind not budging", SS replies, "her face was white as a sheet. Don't worry. Trust me, I'm a woman. She'll surrender before long."

After another set-to with the ajumma, SS goes over to Nari, who heard SS's side of the phone call, and is sitting glumly on the sofa.

SS: You did a good job there, Nari. Well done.
    Nari: But if Mommy starts to hate me, what am I going to do?
    SS: Mommy will come back home. You'll see. Just trust your Auntie.

At the Kang mansion, the President and Park are looking at the postcards apparently in SG's handwriting sent from Paris in January, after the time of death established by the Japanese police, asking for more money and talking of suicide. Though he is too cautious to let Kang see it, it is plain that Park is now rethinking his view of what happened and the likely extent of Joon Soo's guilt, influenced by what he has discovered about Joon Soo and Hye Jin. (And now of course we understand why, in the foreground story right at the start of the drama, HJ's face figured so prominently on Park's wall of photos as he mulled over the evidence).

And at the coast, DA has finally found out where JS is taking her. And so have we...

I'm sorry to say I'll be away for the next few days, so I won't be able to even watch the next couple of episodes at the weekend, let alone do any spot translating, until the middle of next week when I hope to be able to catch up. In the meantime, I envy you guys for being able find out what happens next before I do. Happy viewing everybody!
  • bleu72bleu72 Posts: 31Member
    There is nothing scarier than when women turn on women. How can they help him? It is unthinkable to me. image

IDOL

• judybootiejudybootie Posts: 205Member
    i dunt understand something...so he tired to push her off the cliff..but yet when she was on the verge of falling off he got scared and pulled her back up?..... interesting...

IDOL

edited July 2008
    QUOTE (baduy @ Jul 4 2008, 04:40 AM) »
    I'm sorry to say I'll be away for the next few days, so I won't be able to even watch the next couple of episodes at the weekend, let alone do any spot translating, until the middle of next week when I hope to be able to catch up. In the meantime, I envy you guys for being able find out what happens next before I do. Happy viewing everybody!

thanks baduy for another Spot Translation...too bad that we'll not be able read your posts fort he next few days. I hope you'll enjoy your trip then

I won't be able to watch tonight's episode as well but will come up with screencaps instead

article posted by Dramabeans which is a little bit related to LDV

Popular vs. buzzworthy dramas
    July 4th, 2008 // by javabeans

MBC’s When Night Comes, SBS’s Iljimae

The following article from OSEN takes a look at the difference between the types of dramas on the air these days. I find a lot of mainstream entertainment press to be oversimplified (I’m sure I’m just not looking in the right places), but it’s something to chew on, for those of us who are curious about the relationship between ratings and the popularity/quality/success of a drama — as much as we all like to say it doesn’t matter.

Popular Dramas, Buzzworthy Dramas — There’s a Difference

There are dramas that bring in high viewership ratings but don’t get talked about much. On the other hand, there are also dramas that don’t pull in strong ratings numbers but are constantly being discussed. A drama’s content, actors, and its PR are all potential factors in drawing attention, but they don’t necessarily correlate to good ratings. Because there are many ways to watch a drama these days, the significance of ratings is gradually receding, but it’s still the primary factor in deciding advertising, and is the standard for measuring popularity. …

SONG OF THE DAY

Gourmet OST - “너에게” (To you) by Casker. I’m still trying to catch up on Gourmet, but for now I will say it has a standout soundtrack. [ Download ]

You're My Destiny
    KBS’s You’re My Destiny, SBS’s First Wives’ Club

Family-centric dramas that gather popularity without generating buzz

Representative of dramas that garner high numbers but less buzz are long-running daily and morning dramas. For example: SBS’s morning show Aquarius and KBS1’s daily show You’re My Destiny, which draw in ratings in the high teens to high 20% range — high in viewership but low on discussion issues. These shows are watched out of habit, primarily by housewives, and don’t elicit much interest outside of the act of watching them. Furthermore, because they air for long stretches, specific issues and dramatic events don’t affect the ratings much. Since there’s no need to pour unneeded energy into the wrong place, these shows have come to place their emphasis on plot.

KBS2’s weekend drama Angry Mom draws in high 20% numbers, SBS’s Happiness also rates in the upper 20% range, and First Wives’ Club is closing in on the 30% mark. Although they’re all ranked in the top five for viewership, they haven’t really become notable topics of conversation in and of themselves. But First Wives’ Club did offer storylines around “shocking” cases of adultery, revenge, conflict and reconciliation.

I agree that these are “habit shows,” although that doesn’t mean they’re not entertaining. I think of them akin to American daytime soaps, not in content but in function and format. They have larger casts spanning characters of multiple generations (to appeal to a broader base), have very general dramatic themes, and don’t really break new ground. They’re familiar enough that you can skip many episodes, then tune back in and figure out quickly what’s transpired in the interim. In that way, they’re perfect “background noise” entertainment, and therefore don’t make headlines in the way that other, more specialized shows might.

It’s also the reason I don’t watch them — not because I think they’re bad but because as a viewer who doesn’t watch these shows on television, it’s too much commitment. I’ve noticed that watching television on the Internet is a more focused activity — it’s active watching, versus leaving a television running which is passive watching (at least for me). When these long-running dramas do make it to television in the States, I’m much more likely to catch a few episodes. In that respect, it’s nice to see cable stations like Imaginasian and KBS World expanding their schedules with more varied programming like Likable or Not, Angry Mom (aka Mom’s Grown Horns), Pure 19, and so on.

MBC’s La Dolce Vita and Spotlight

Lower-rated but attention-getting dramas

Ratings are relatively low for shows like MBC’s La Dolce Vita, When Night Comes, and Spotlight, and SBS’s My Sweet Seoul, but they are constantly being talked about.

La Dolce Vita’s focus of attention is decidedly Oh Yeon Soo. At 36, Oh Yeon Soo is a mother of two but has the looks of one in her twenties, drawing eyes with her perfect bikini-clad figure. She garnered plenty of notice for her passionate, dramatic acting with twentysomething Lee Dong Wook. My Sweet Seoul breaks the mold of provocative, exaggerated dramas, expressing itself in calm realism and sympathy-evoking dialogue. Both dramas are reviewed as well-made and have disappointing ratings.

Others like When Night Comes and Spotlight stir interest for their focus on particular occupations, such as the preservation of cultural treasures and broadcast reporting. On top of that, both have prominent female leads in Kim Sun-ah and Son Ye-jin, which alone is enough to get people talking. But because their stories and structuring aren’t solid, they’ve failed to reach viewer expectations. It’s no surprise they struggled to pass the 10% ratings mark.

Ah, these are usually my kind of dramas (such as: Mixed-up Investigative Agency, Que Sera Sera). Ironically, I’m only watching one of the above-mentioned series (My Sweet Seoul), although I did try all four. These are usually the dramas that elicit fervent fan responses like “Ratings don’t matter!” although secretly we probably all wish the ratings did improve. Here we have the home of mania dramas.

But I’d put shows like When Night Comes and Spotlight in a side category within this group — they’re not underwatched because of a lack of appreciation, but because they don’t meet levels of quality pursuant to intial hype. It may be unreasonable hype — god knows it’s burdensome to follow up My Name Is Kim Samsoon, or the universal praise of Alone In Love — but it’s hype nonetheless, and falling short of that means lots of disappointed fans. (I think Rivals, with Chae Rim headlining, is another one to fall into this area.)

Ratings aren’t a factor in my drama-watching habits, but I think they do act as validation. Because, as confident as we all are in our own good taste, it does get frustrating to know our favorites are often underappreciated, isn’t it? Heck, that’s a large part of why I started this site in the first place — to talk (okay, ramble) about shows that weren’t getting talked about. Some rightly so — I’ve watched a lot of bad shows, I’ll admit — but some unfortunately overlooked.

SBS’s Iljimae and Gourmet

Dramas with both ratings and buzz

And then, there are dramas that get both good ratings and buzz. SBS’s Iljimae and Gourmet are two examples.

Iljimae, based on the Korean folk hero, garnered plenty of interest before its premiere for its lead and supporting cast, its [expected] strong performances and comic acting, and visually stunning CG and cinematography, and its ratings went up accordingly. It has passed the 20% mark and closes in on 30%. Despite its characterization as a fusion sageuk, the drama stands out with its episodes dealing with current social issues. Gourmet was a popular manhwa created by artist Heo Young-man and even inspired a film adaptation, therefore creating high expectations even before its broadcast. It’s come out in first place in the Monday-Tuesday race.

It’s natural that high ratings result in more buzz. The drama Yi San, which ended its run not long ago, may have been a long-running drama that aired for nine months, but it followed the structure of a miniseries, capturing two birds with one stone with its high ratings and high buzz. Furthermore, it was so talked-about that when it was preparing to wrap up, the other stations scrambled to set up their competition.

Again, these are two dramas I’m not up-to-date with, but they do represent that special sweet spot combining critical and popular success (although I submit that Iljimae is still not quite a critical success). We might say we prefer the previous (i.e., mania) category, but I’ll bet a lot of people would still hope those dramas made it into this category. Even if that would mean that you’d get the subsequent, requisite backlash of people proclaiming the popular hit “overrated” and “junk” when it would probably be overwhelmingly praised were the ratings lower. (I’d put Coffee Prince in that category — I’ve always felt that the backlash was harsh. Yes, it did lose dramatic momentum in its last quarter, but then it became the cool thing to dismiss because of its popularity.)

Appealing to the masses CAN dilute content sometimes, but mainstream in itself isn’t a dirty word — you have to respect something that manages to evoke strong responses in a large population, even if it’s not your taste (as Iljimae isn’t mine). Admittedly, sometimes that respect is grudging. Just as you’ve got good and bad in any category, you’ve got good and bad in mainstream — and the shows in this category are the very few that manage to score that elusive recipe for success.

Via OSEN

http://www.dramabeans.com/2008/07/popular-.../#comment-47967

Official MV is now out on MBC 's Drama website

Sarang Ggot - Kang Hyun-jung

http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/sweet/i...;flashSIZE2=335

Ggeut ee ah ni gil - Kang Tae-woo

http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/sweet/i...;flashSIZE2=335
  • jtranlajtranla Los Angeles, CAPosts: 701Friend of Soompi
    edited July 2008
    달콤한_인생 19회 - 07.05.Sat.HDTV.XviD-Ental.avi (645.29MB) <U>저장</U>
    달콤한_인생 19회 - 07.05.Sat.HDTV.XviD-Ental.avi (645.29MB) <U>저장</U>
    image 달콤한_인생 19회 - 07.05.Sat.HDTV.XviD-Ental.avi (645.29MB) <U>저장</U>
    image 달콤한_인생 19회 - 07.05.Sat.HDTV.XviD-Ental.avi (645.29MB) <U>저장</U>

달콤한_인생 19회 - 07.05.Sat.HDTV.XviD-Ental.avi (660786 KB) PC저장달콤한인
    생.E19.080705.HDTV.XviD-Ental.avi (660786 KB) PC저장
    달콤한 인생.E03.080510.HDTV.X264-SHiNHWA.avi (717574 KB) PC저장
    달콤한 인생.E01.080503.HDTV.X264-SHiNHWA.avi (717468 KB) PC저장
    달콤한 인생.E02.080504.HDTV.X264-SHiNHWA.avi (717752 KB) PC저장
  • jtranlajtranla Los Angeles, CAPosts: 701Friend of Soompi
    Episode 19 (Ental) MU links are available at AIGOO
  • ay_linkay_link WITHS2aholic &#51060;&#51221;&#51116; &#50672;&#51064;Posts: 4,106Friend of Soompi

IDOL

BROUGHT TO YOU BY WITH S2
    WRITTEN IN THE HEAVENS SUBBING SQUAD

EPISODE 10 *Ental* ENGLISH SUBS

CREDITS:

Main Translator/Timer: MisterX
    Timing QC: wichitawx
    Editor/QC: thunderbolt
    Coordinators: mily2, ay_link

• barneyashleybarneyashley Posts: 98Member

ROOKIE

MBC’s La Dolce Vita and Spotlight

Lower-rated but attention-getting dramas

Ratings are relatively low for shows like MBC’s La Dolce Vita, When Night Comes, and Spotlight, and SBS’s My Sweet Seoul, but they are constantly being talked about.

La Dolce Vita’s focus of attention is decidedly Oh Yeon Soo. At 36, Oh Yeon Soo is a mother of two but has the looks of one in her twenties, drawing eyes with her perfect bikini-clad figure. She garnered plenty of notice for her passionate, dramatic acting with twentysomething Lee Dong Wook. My Sweet Seoul breaks the mold of provocative, exaggerated dramas, expressing itself in calm realism and sympathy-evoking dialogue. Both dramas are reviewed as well-made and have disappointing ratings.

It is so true as La Dolce Vita is a very good drama but it is not everybody cup of tea . You would be amazed to see how many silent lurkers in this thread in one hour .... As there are not many discussions -simply because Baduy has done such a powerful job - in rambling and disecting the interreaction of the characters that all you have to do is to read and to enjoy the insights thatBaduy provide to us weekly . And then it is too deep somtimes that it is hard to put them into words if you are not good in writing so it is best to be a silent lurker instead .

Like Resurrection and Damo , these two did not get a good rating , either , but once whoever stumbled upon these two , they would never forget this , and they would all be so glad that they got to watch such good dramas .

So to me - some are so anxious with rating - rating is not that important as long as I know that I got to see a good series and am able to read all the spoilers and analysis and discussions that readers put their heart and soul into it then that is the biggest rewarding of all . I like to see a drama that you still think about it after it finished and still warm your heart whenever you miss it and go back to visit the thread and still , many new comers have the same passions that you'd have for years to come .... Then no need for rating anymore but the recognition from the fans is the loudest of all .

The funny thing is you will know it is a good drama - low rating but good reviews and good analysis - is when you see the familiar names of members in the thread as they also contribute a lot of their thoughts and their time into a drama with full discussions in depth ... then you know you can not miss it ...

Thank you Koalar Bear for all the beautiful caps ....as they go well with Baduy insanely cool spoilers ...
  • lyptikalyptika Germany, ColognePosts: 361Member
    La Dolce Vita - Ep.19 *Ental*
    Veoh: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v147818678M5W57Pb
    Lee Min HoGoo Hye SunKim Hyun JoongKim Bum
    ♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥
    ♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥ flowersboys.wordpress.com ♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥
    banner © me
  • BayByOjaHBayByOjaH Olympia, WA Posts: 1,206Member
    I really like Lee Dong Wook!~~
    Arbonne Consultant // Inbox me for samples, every first order gets 35% off!
    Pure, safe, & beneficial~! I love ARBONNE! facebook/my shop/my requests

• mzpakipotmzpakipot Obsessed with City Hall and GuMi couple! Posts: 2,736Member
    thank you for the MU link aigoo!
    can't wait for spoilers..
    Best Kdrama:City Hall /// Best Couple: GuMi
    UPDATING SIGGY................
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
    Status: CITY HALL DETOX /// Currently Addicted to CITY HALL Recaps by Samsooki & Team @Dramabeans

IDOL

IDOL

edited July 2008
    screencaps from Episode 19

IDOL

edited July 2008
    more screencaps from Episode 19

IDOL

edited July 2008
    Episode 20 was kind of confusing especially with all that Junsoo was thinking about Hye-jin and Daae. When HJ went to JS's condo...he was really quite mad at her and was like telling her that all of what happened between them was nothing...or like a lie...HJ felt flabbergasted about it then Dong-won saw her outside while he was driving...

Detective Park saw Junsoo lying down when he visited him...about the injury he incurred in yesterday's episode. He brought him to the hospital

Hyejin visited her kids and returned Boksoon as well and Detective Park visited her asking about when or how did she met Junsoo or if she knows something about what happened to Sanggu in Hokkaido.

Daae brought Junsoo to her noona/mother's house for him to rest his injury

Hyejin visited Daae in Scarlett and Da said she was really waiting for her. She returned HJ's bag that she left at Junsoo's condo...apparently they had a really feisty confrontation since DA sort of inspected HJ's things, especially her cellphone which logged HJ's calls with Junsoo

Episode 21 preview

Dong-won I think realizes something about his wife and feels being really hurt for the first time
    Junsoo returns to Seoul and visits Hyejin by which she was waiting for him...

Hye-jin is somewhat really pitiful as what Oh Yeon-soo posted in her message before, I hope Hj will come out as a strong woman not as a very weak one...we'll see in the remaining 4 episodes

Forgive me for I 'm not really good in Korean haha I wish Baduy will come back really soon with the spot translations