Is Eating Too Many Cough Drops Bad For You?

bluenette

addicted
Is eating too much of cough drops bad for you? I eat it even though I don't have a cough or sore throat. It is very refreshing when my throat is dry. Are there any side effects of eating too much? Yea, I know I'm weird :rolleyes:

edit: i don't mean like ten at a time. probably like one every half hour/hour

Guest iPanda

o_____o;;

I don't know, but I REALLY HOPE NOT. I've been having the coughs lately and inhaling cough drops like a monster.. LOL.

Guest iAD0RKABLESi

eating alot of cough drops is BAD

cause it has menthol in them and too much menthol in your body is bad

i ate 3 Halls in an hour, and then i had to vomit the next hour (btw, i only had a sore throat)

everyone's body is different of course

but i'm just warning you.

i searched around and this is what someone said:

Yes, menthol can be toxic if taken in large amounts, just as any drug can. More importantly, I am surprised you didn't wind up in the bathroom after eating so many cough drops- they are meant to be used at the rate of one every couple of hours, NOT 4 an hour !!! Menthol is a product which is produced from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree- the same tree which koala bears eat the leaves of in order to survive. In addition to its being the main ingredient in most cough drops, it is also used in things like mentholatum, Vick's VapoRub, and Vick's inhalers. Breathing menthol in small amounts is soothing to irritated nasal and sinus passages, but it is not intended to be ingested in large amounts. Your digestive system is not set up to handle it- too much will mean a trip to the toilet, which is far worse than any sore throat you might have, and it may teach you a valuable lesson.

Guest Vannie

if youre looking for a refreshing taste, use mints. cough drops are afterall, medication and contain active ingredients that can be harmful if consumed in big quantities (well, like if you eat 6 bags of them at once...) 2 or 3 everyday won't harm you, but its better not to eat them for no reason.

If your throat is dry, drink lots of water :)

Guest x0_saturn_0x

o__o

menthol is toxic if you take in too much, just like any other drug..

i dont think ur digestive system is not set up for handling so much menthol.... i think if you continue to eat so many cough drops, you're gonna pay a very long visit to the toilet or vomit or something o__o

i'd suggest you find some mints like tic-tac or something to pop in your mouth rather than cough drops and drink lotsa water!

Guest plumerias

Depends what the active ingredient is.

If its pectin, you can eat as many as you want. Yay luden's throat drops~ :D

Menthol will make you sick though if you eat too many.

Guest Justalilodreamer

consuming A LOT of anything at once is bad for you, so yes, eating too many cough drops is bad. Its alright to take a couple a day, just dont eat them for no reason or gobble up a bag a day. Last year i ate like 5-6 cough drops within 1.5 hours because i had do a speech on stage..nothing happened to me haha

Guest jliu6190

yeah, i think you're not supposed to guzzle them down because..aren't they kind of like medicine?

anyways, mints are good. or hard candy.

Guest watcher

Is eating too much of cough drops bad for you? I eat it even though I don't have a cough or sore throat. It is very refreshing when my throat is dry. Are there any side effects of eating too much? Yea, I know I'm weird :rolleyes:

read the label, and if it says ask your doctor, then ask your doctor :)

Guest Vivskies

Well I ate them like candy when I had a sore throat.

^ But yeah, like they said, they'll stop to work because the bacteria become immune or something like that.

Archived