Brown Eyes: Yoon Gun & Na Ul

songielove

-Forever classic duo- the creator of mid-tempo r&b

Debut Year: 2001
As solo artists, Yoon Gun and Na Ul have graced Korea with their brilliant compositions and amazing voices already. Yet, together they bring a much more powerful force. Although the duo are not active together anymore, their years together as a group has made a large impact on the Korean music industry. They are the originator of the Korean mid-tempo R&B ballad phenomenon and set the stage for the success of today's chart-topping ballad groups like SG Wannabe, M to M, Gavy NJ, Brown Eyed Girls, KCM, etc. They returned with a reunion album in 2008 in their classic style via having no public appearances for album promotions; still, they managed to top music charts and sell over 15,000 copies in one day, saving the stagnation of the Korean music industry. Brown Eyes is definitely a group one cannot forget; their songs for each album come with a soul-fulfilling mist and live up to their musical brilliance that the two have legendarily imprinted long ago into the Korean music industry.

Stage Name: Yoon Gun
Name: Yang Chang Ik
Birthday: 1977.01.07
Height: 180cm
Weight: 68kg
Bloodtype: B
School: Yonsei University
Hobbies: Computer games, toy figurines, Lego building
Favorite music: RnB
Favorite artists: R. Kelly, Babyface
Favorite instrument: Piano
Most prized possession: Necklace
Project(s) prior to Brown Eyes: Four-member group "TEAM"
Follow @theyoongun

Name: Yoo Na Ul
Birthday: 1978.09.23
Height: 173cm
Weight: 65kg
Blood Type: A
School: DanGook University
Siblings: One older brother
Religion: Christian
Favorite foods: Tonkatsu, Korean bacon
Favorite artists: Stevie wonder, Mark Dorsey, Monifah, LTD
Favorite music: 70-90's RnB
Favorite clothing: Military style
Hobbies: collecting cds, movies
Project(s) prior to Brown Eyes: Lead singer of "Anthem"
Follow @yoonaul

1st album:
With Coffee (2001)
Exquisite review
Popular tracks released:
*"벌써일년"(Already A Year)
*"With Coffee"

2nd album:
Reason for Breathing? (2002)
Popular tracks released:
*"점점"(Little By Little)
*"돌아가줘"(For You)

Compilation album:
The Very Best of Brown Eyes- Take a Favorite (June 2007)

3rd album:
Two Things Needed For The Same Purpose and 5 Objects (2008)
Popular tracks released:
*"가지마 가지마" (Don't Leave, Don't Leave)
*"너때문에" (Because of You)

*Yoon Gun produced all of Brown Eyes' albums and his solo albums while contributing compositions to each as well.

1st album:
갈색머리 (Brown Hair) (November 2003)

2nd album:
헤어지자고 (Let's Separate) (November 2004)

Special OST album:
Yoon Gun's Sad Love Story (Drama: "슬픔연가" (Sad Love Story) (2005)

1st Japanese single:
恋をするのなら (If You Fall In Love) (2005)

3rd album:
My Romantic Occasion (2007)

2nd Japanese single:
I Believe In You (2007)

1st Mini-album:
라떼처럼 (Like Latte) (2009)
Album Review

2nd Mini-album:
Far East 2 Brick Lane (October 2012)
52mgdy.jpg

Other appearances:
[Radio] Yoon Gun's Dreamy Radio (SBS, 2009)
[Drama] High Kick 3: The Revenge Of The Short Legged (MBC, 2011-2012)
[Variety] Music and Lyrics (MBC Music, 2012)
[show] Superstar K4 (Mnet, 2012)

*Na Ul took part in 5-member group, Brown Eyed Soul, after Brown Eyes.

1st album:
Na Ul Remake - Back to the Soul Flight (2005)
Image #2

2nd album:
Principle Of My Soul (September 2012)
2exosp4.jpg

October 1st, 2012
Via tvN's 'Baek Ji Yeon’s People Inside' , Yoon Gun discusses the possibility of a Brown Eyes reunion, revealing that there are no plans as of yet-- but that doesn't mean it won't happen!

---

December 4th, 2009
Yoon Gun signs exclusive contract with NOA Entertainment (Korean)

---

December 10th, 2008
CONGRATULATIONS to Brown Eyes on winning Golden Bonsang Disk award!!* image *
In the style of Brown Eyes: without making a single appearance!^^ Congratulations and we hope to see more of your work in the future! =D Other winners include: Dong Bang Shin Ki, Kim Dong Ryul, SG Wannabe, Rain, Shinhwa (disk), MC Mong, Brown Eyed Girls, Jewelry, Wonder Girls (digital)

---

September 13th, 2008
Soompi Artist of the Week
Cr: to adikkeluangman

---

July 30th, 2008
Sales of Brown Eye's Latest Album Exceeds 100,000 in 5 Weeks

MNet Media says popular male singing duo Brown Eyes has sold 100,000 of its latest album since it was released five weeks ago.

Brown Eyes' management agency said the album sales of the duo's latest album exceeded 100,000 copies on the Hanteo Chart as well. The duo has become the second K-pop artist this year to sell more than 100,000 albums after singer Kim Dong-ryul.

K-pop fans are raving over the title song of Brown Eyes' latest album "Don't Go, Don't Go" as well as "Because of You."

A part of the proceeds from the album sales will be donated to a relief organization dedicated to digging wells in Ethiopia as well as to an organization that helps children of low-income families in Korea.
Credit: KBS Global, eternal_bliss.^^

---

July 12th, 2008
SOOMPI CHARTS
1. (+16) Brown Eyes - 가지마 가지마 (Don't Leave Don't Leave) *** 1 WEEK NO. 1 + BIGGEST MOVER OF THE WEEK ***
Music: Yoon Gun / Lyrics: Gary of Lee Ssang
Album: Brown Eyes Vol. 3 Track 2 Purchase this album
Comment: Wow! Talk about an album saving the sagging k-pop industry. Brown Eyes did just that. The title song "Don't Leave, Don't Leave" took only two weeks to reach the top, overtaking many strong challengers this week, and in the meantime, becoming our biggest mover of the week. Once again, the duo hit the top spot without any promotional activities, just like when they took k-pop by storm 7 years ago with songs like "Already One Year", "With Coffee", "Gradually" etc. For the younger generation of k-pop fans, this may be the first time you have ever heard of Brown Eyes. If that's the case, I recommend all of you to check out their past hits as well. You won't be disappointed.

I have great love and respect for my favorite duo. Please share your love and support for these two amazing artists!

The Brown Eyes Thread @ soompi credits: superstar`kiss (amazing graphics), yesasia.com (album images), KBS World Radio

Note: This thread was created and put together with the loving heart of songielove.
Please credit properly (Brown Eyes Thread@soompi) if any information is taken from this post. Thank you!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bee.elle

Ahh thanks for starting this thread : D I love Brown Eyes!! First time I heard them was from...Pops in Seoul I think- the MV for With Coffee! I still love that song now! They sounded so good together- I wish they didn't split up : ( Already 1 year is also a really good song : D I love how they put piano versions of their songs on their CDs : )

Guest Dah_jOkA

ahah 4th to tag! wessup songie? how r u? havent talked in a while, how the heck are you always beating me to these things? i wes thinking about making a Brown Eyes Thread, along with a WANTED thread, somehow u always beat me. hah neway its good to hear about Brown Eyes among soompi again. one of the greatest korean vocal duos of all time, they stayed true to their music and didn't let the pressure of the media affect them at all. Yoon Gun, mah fave member of Brown Eyes, awesome composer. I finally own all their albums again, and im currently searching for TEAM's 1st n Anthem's 1st, if i manage to find them i'll be sure to tell you about it. oK! so other than that, its nice talking to u again, take care songie! BROWN EYES FOREVER!

it was so sad when they disbanded. they were so awesome and unique. alreday one year is a classic. their solo stuff is okay but its nothing compared to when they were together.

I liked this group a lot when they were still together I could seriously listen to every song on vol. 1 and 2. Their solo stuff is still good but its just not the same. It really sucks they broke up in fact I remember the day I heard, apparently I looked depressed at school. lol Anyways im glad this thread got started up. Brown Eyes forever~

Guest SkyRunner

I really thought they worked great together but they had to break up. I still love them anyway. Their second album has been on repeat for about a month now. Naul's voice is just beautiful :wub:

Guest miyawoks

i love this duo!!!

i started liking them when i heard already one year... this song was my LSS for a long time before i switched to with coffee...

i also like that they're mvs star popluar actors and actresses.. they're mvs are always interesting to watch :)

What I loved most about them is how they didn't come out on any shows and tried to gain popularity just by voice. They succeeded too ^^ It's really a shame they didn't make any more albums together... They were my favorite R&B group... =(

ahah 4th to tag! wessup songie? how r u? havent talked in a while, how the heck are you always beating me to these things? i wes thinking about making a Brown Eyes Thread, along with a WANTED thread, somehow u always beat me. hah neway its good to hear about Brown Eyes among soompi again. one of the greatest korean vocal duos of all time, they stayed true to their music and didn't let the pressure of the media affect them at all. Yoon Gun, mah fave member of Brown Eyes, awesome composer. I finally own all their albums again, and im currently searching for TEAM's 1st n Anthem's 1st, if i manage to find them i'll be sure to tell you about it. oK! so other than that, its nice talking to u again, take care songie! BROWN EYES FOREVER!

hey henry!~ haha~ i beat you to everything??!~ awe.. too bad~ but hey!~ i mentioned you in the beginning~ no one j/ knew that it was you haha~-- omg!!~ did you finally update and get their albums again!!!~ ahhh!!!~ happy for you haha~. Yeah, i've been trying to find their previous groups' albums also~ let me know then!!~ really hard to find.~ but i'm so glad that you replied here-- hope you're doing awesome too! ^_^

WOW~ i knew there was a lot of Brown Eyes fans here!!~ I am sooo happy to finally see you guys!~ oh wow, NaUl was an official performer for the Olymbics 2002??~ omg~ what was i doing then????~ wow~ haha-- thanks for that info~ this thread is helping me out haha!~

I really like their solo projects actually~ j/ as much as when they were together surprisingly~ but it's j/ the thought that they're not together anymore that kills it. :( ~ But wow, thanks you guys~ and NaUl looks so cute w/ his gf hehe ^_^ I love it that they overcame the media and everything w/out their appearances~ j/ love it!~ they make beautiful music~--> ;)

NAUHL~ one of my fav voices.. really original. love his cyworld too~ he's a true artist in everyway. he creates awesome drawings, paintings, & photography..not to mention music..

YOONGUN too.. ^___^

Archived