Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restaurant Review Thread

Replies

• itzxaxduckyitzxaxducky Posts: 159Member
    edited December 2005
    Todai definitely depends on which one you're going to. For instance, I know the one @ a mall nearby is really good but the one really close to me sucks.

Top Dog @ Berkeley
    -not exactly a restaurant (it's a hot dog place) but it's REALLY good
  • MiJi_10MiJi_10 MiJi JAPANPosts: 627Member
    California Pizza Kitchen (various locations nationwide)

their grilled vegetarian sandwich is REALLY good.
    and i like their goat cheese with roasted peppers pizza.
  • juicy_couturejuicy_couture Posts: 267Member
    In New York..

You haveee to go to View Restaurant.. Go at night, the view is amazing.. It's a perfect place to go with your bf/gf etc.. It rotates 360 degrees.. <- Does that make sense? Well it turns in the sky.. Haha.. Sorry if I'm not making sense.. Bring atleast $200.. It's the perfect atmosphere..
    ★ Juicy Couture's Shop ★

Juicy Couture, Gucci, A&F, Bebe, & more..

• lefeudissey_;lefeudissey_; Los AngelesPosts: 63Member
    edited December 2005
    L.A :

- Chosun Galbee, K-town
    - Furaibo, LA <-- yummiest Japanese restaurant ever. It's so addicting!
    - BCD Tofu <gotta love this.. haha>
    - BJ's <only for the Pizookies> They're to die for <3
    - Andre's <-- cheap little Italian place by The Grove. It's always packed! *drool* I want some spaghetti and meatballs..
    - Gladstones, Malibu - LOBSTER!!!!!!!
    - Mr. Noodle, LA - UCLA students would know. =9 I always come back for more.. Hahaha..

Last but not least . . PHO. Y'all gotta love Pho. ;9

a moment like this . . . <3

• theonecalledy2ckttheonecalledy2ckt Somewhere with a DDR machine...Posts: 3,357Member

TRAINEE

edited January 2006
    Name: Anna's Taquiera

for poor college students like myself, this is prolly one of the best deals in boston. for about 4 bucks and some change, a super burrito is a meal in itself, filled with rice, beans, cheese, salsa and hot sauce (yes, you can edit out any of those, or pay extra for sour cream and/or guacamole) and your choice of steak, carnitas (really tender pork), al pastor (marinated roast pork), chicken, or veggies. the other stuff on the menu is pretty reasonably priced and awesome as well. definitely a good deal if you're hungry and low on funds. <3

here's some pics for those of you who need to see what it's like. these were found on someone's blog at MIT, on the first day that they opened at the student center.

IPB Image

IPB Image

and one of their burritos image

IPB Image
    "This is just simple cookie dough... but it dares to challenge me?!"
    -Shinku [Rozen Maiden Traumend Ep. 7]

IPB Image
    IPB Image
  • ThePuffThePuff Posts: 45Member
    Raffi's Place
    Type of food served: Armenian/Persian (uncertain)
    Price: Reasonable, it ranges from around 8 dollars to 20 dollars.
    ***** 5 out of 5 stars

If you want a kabob, this is the place to go. I've been to a number of resturants in LA region but the lamb kabob from here rocks them all. The serving portions are more than generous and the appetizers I've tried have been good. I highly recommend you order the shirazi on the side - you won't regret it. I can almost guarantee that you will love the food here.
  • mzjoycemzjoyce Posts: 617Member
    edited January 2006
    Eileen's Cheesecake

17 Cleveland Place
    New York, NY 10012
    1-800-521-CAKE (outside NY)
    212-966-5585

Environment
    It's small, really cozy. It has a few stool seats & one or two tables. The wall is covered with pictures of customers, family members & many memories. It's decorated for the holidays right now, & it's just really comfortable.

Quality
    The cheesecake is AMAZING here. It's not too airy or too tight, very smooth. I have to say their crust is JUST right, not too thick nor thin. They have a huge assortment of flavors, from different fruits to cappuccino or even oreo!

Accomodations
    There is not much seating, but even if you take these to go, they're really great. They come in tart sizes, about 2.5''-3'' in diameter, and also in medium and large cakes. They also sell little cookies & sweets as well.

Cost
    I don't remember the cost, but the price matches the quality in my opinion. They also sell online, but it's very pricey there because of shipping. (Remember, you're shipping fragile cake that has to be refrigerated) Anywho, it's very affordable.

Reccomendation/Favorite
    My life long favorite has always been the Strawberry tart & the Plain tart. The strawberry tart size one is a plain tart with a whole large strawberry with a very tasty strawberry sauce over it. It's amazing. The plain tart is also always good because it's simple yet delicious.

Comments[b/]
    This place is really small, but their cheesecake is AMAZING. Quite literally the best cheesecake ever! I've been going there since I was born! & my parents have been going ever since they found it. It's just delicious. If you live in NY, it's in manhattan and goodness, I can't even describe how good it is. The quality is great, and it's ALWAYS good, I haven't had a time when it wasn't good yet. :]

*****/*****
    [5/5 stars]
    HELLO WORLD.
    THIS IS ME.
    credit to cherri_blossom for avie <3
  • GodotologyGodotology I'm good 'til the last drop Posts: 6,374Administrator

ADMIN

Alertos Authentic Mexican food (fast food type)
    3 known locations:

2 in Fountain Valley on Brookhurst
    1 in Stanton on Beach.

Food
    Authentic Mexican fast food. Nothing like Taco Bell or Del Taco. When you get a nacho here, it isn't that cheesy one, but the shredded melted kind. This place is known for it's Fish and Carne Asada selection.

what I reccomend:
    Carne Asada Burrito
    Carne Asada nachos
    Carne Asada fries (in some locations it's not listed on the menu, but just ask for it)
    Fish taco
    Fish Burrito

Pricing
    This can vary.. mostly depending on the cashier working. I've seen a variety of pricing, especially if you customize your food to include extra stuff such as Guacamole, Sour Cream, etc. Rule of thumb.. if the cashier likes you or is familiar with you..you will get charged less. If you're new, charged more. It's quite confusing, but beneficial if you're a regular. On average.. you can get a Burrito (that's pretty large) and a large soda for around $5. If you're lucky.. below $5.

Atmosphere
    This too can vary. There are two Alertos in Fountain Valley. One known as "Low Rider" and the other known as the greenhouse. Low rider has about 4 or 5 indoor tables which gets filled up fast, and the rest located outside with low seats (thus the name). This one is open the latest, and has a drive thru that opens until 3 am. Because of the hours, you will often find racer kids at late hours.
    The "green house" has all it's tables indoors and is usually not as crowded (but usually full during Lunch time). It is generally cleaner, however there has been instances of shootings there in the past. It's called greenhouse because the front part is all glass.
    Finally the Stanton location is the newest one. It's big, clean, and very spacy. It's also unique in the fact that you can see the kitchen. Out of the 3, I personally prefer the Stanton location.

rating: 4/5
    Blacker than a moonless night, Hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee
  • tenshiii0oxtenshiii0ox Posts: 1,421Member

ROOKIE

Gil Mok 길목<3 Ahh... their dongchimi gooksoo is delicious, but too much MSG. image

*Torrance* (uh huh. image )
    -CPK aka California Pizza Kitchen (it's the bommbbb)
    I'm sure everyone knows CPK right? >< They have a variety of pizza, fettucini, pasta, etc. Oh! Their spring rolls are tasty too! Hmm... you should try the salad. It's not really expensive... well depends on how much money you have in your pockets. (:
    -Bonello's
    Omgggg... you must go to the one in Torrance. Their pizza is to die for. It's kinda expensive for a 17", but it's so worth it!!! You can choose ANY topping. ANYYYTHINGG you want. My goodness.
    -Cheesecake Factory
    Mmm..... I think someone mentioned this already. Oh, but their Thai wrap is good and healthy for you too!

Ehh... my mom always makes food at home, so I like home food. Outside food tend to be unhealthy. image
    Northwestern University '13
    Go, Wildcats!
    ''For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
    C'est La Vie

• bodaboda ?? ?????! Anchorage, AlaskaPosts: 1,223Member
    edited January 2006
    name:Sally's Restaurant & Bar
    address: One Market Place, San Diego, CA 92101-7714. near the Manchester Hyatt, it has a good view of the ocean
    rating: i give is ***** (5/5)
    price: it is pretty pricy, but it is still good and worth the money
    review: i went there on the fourth of the july, it was good, relaxing and fun.... the food was excellent, esp the calimari and the scallops!!! the fettichini it was good but i couldnt finish it!!!! their cheesecake was the best cheesecake i have ever had in my life!!!! i love it there, i need to go there one more time!!!!

name: Glacier Brewhouse
    address: 737 W. 5th Avenue, Suite 110, Anchorage, Alaska, 99501
    rating: ****
    price: it is fairly priced, you will not go broke if you and a date were to eat here, i would for two people would be like $50
    review: i have been there a couple of times because i live in alaska and it is realli good.... i would recommend the seared ahi tuna and the thai pizza..... i wouldnt know how there beer tasted like but i am assuming that is good since ther brew their own......

name: Bear Tooth Pub and Grill
    address: 1230 W 27th Ave, Anchorage, Alaska 99503
    rating: the Pub side, ***, and the Grill, ***1/2
    price: fairly priced since they make a lot of the their stuff homemade or from their sister company, Moose Tooth....
    review: the pub side is a lot more a relaxed atmosphere and we show movies for three dollars...... a lot of the food are realli good but there are more known for their pizzas also with there sister company Moose Tooth..... i would tell all of the tourists to come this place, it is a must place to visit if in alaska
    Magical Hottie!!

credit to baoseng.... thank you so much!!
  • xkrndreamerxkrndreamer BASKETBALL IS LIFE Cal State FullertonPosts: 6,295Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Aria Korean Restaurant. It's a Koean BBQ place on the left and a Korean Sashimi place on the right.

Beach and Orangethorpe next to Fuddruckers

I dont like sushi but LOVE sashimi. The fish is fresh, rich, and sweet :]
  • paper or plasticpaper or plastic Posts: 121Member
    edited January 2006
    HWANG HAE DO!!!

They sell almost everything from yummy nengmyun to mandoo (dumplings) and KOREAN BBQ!!

WHY THIS PLACE IS GREAT:

1. Main specials are korean BBQ and mandoo/dumplings. They HANDMAKE each of their dumplings. yes, EACH one is HANDMADE and all ingredients are FRESH.

2. The Korean BBQ is the best deal EVER. If you go to shikdorak or other Korean BBQ places, you get like only a small portion of meat. But at hwang hae do, meat portions are HUGE and you definitely get more than your money's worth compared to the other korean BBQ places (this is for the raw BBQ u order and cook on the grill in front of you). The first time i orderd korean bbq there i was like DANG thats a lotta meat.

3. THe mool nengmyun is the bomb. Last time i went it was on a lunch special for 2.99 each...best deal ever....the spicy nengmyun is the bomb too image

4. Not only do they handmake their own dumplings/mandoo, they also make their own kimchi, and it tastes soooo yummy.

5. OH and another thing about their dumplings...they're really different because they're north korean style...and like NO other place makes north korean style dumplings. The founder/maker of the dumplings is a grandma who escaped from north korea during the korean war and brought her recipe with her. In my opinion...the fried kimchi dumplings are the best.

OK so where is this place located?

Theres quite a few...

- 1 in garden grove, CA on garden grove blvd. It's right across the street from Boba Loca (near arirang market). Actually the cross streets are garden grove blvd. and gridly or something..SOMETHING with a "GRI" in it lol

- another one in cerritos. forgot what street it was on

Anyways, theres like 5 of them out there total, but the one i always go to is the one is garden grove. The one in garden grove is SUPER nice and they give me free food as "service" all the time! image.

AND OMG, they have this brown dipping sauce for the galbi, and its SOOO good image ....it comes in a little dish when u order galbi. i always mix some sauce in my rice, and eat it with the galbi!
    IPB Image

like RAWR!!
  • elemenopeelemenope Posts: 77Friend of Soompi
    edited January 2006
    Like to add my own review about this one cafe/restaurant:

SERENDIPITY's

where: NYC, NY
    Famous for: Filming location of "Serendipity" with Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack. Its Frozen Hot Chocolate dessert and crepes.
    Overall rating: 3.5 / 5
    Price: 20-25$ per head.

Comments: It's a popular restaurant in NYC cause of its appearances in films and because it's a popular celeb hangout.
    BUT, we waited 3 hours to get in without a reservation. It was crowded. Decor is funkky/cozy/cutesy look. Lots of whites, pinks and flowers here and there.

Food is definitely OVERRATED> I had chicken curry and it was so so. I can make better. image
    Frozen Hot Chocolate - it's just like a Frapppucino at Starbucks except it's just all hot chocolate.
    And they sell the powder mix at the restaurant so you can make it at home.
    But their fruit crepes were great as well as other desserts we ordered. It was the best part of the dinner.

Just wanted to warn people who've heard of this restaurant that it's not all it's cracked up to be and during my visit in NYC, I could have gone to better restaurants.

Suggestions: Make a reservation before you go, don't look for parking around the area (in case you're not from NYC), save your stomachs for dessert.
  • xkrndreamerxkrndreamer BASKETBALL IS LIFE Cal State FullertonPosts: 6,295Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited January 2006
    vietnam flavor on lincoln and a little past bloomfield (located in the city of hawaiin gardens)

the only decent vietnamese restaurant thats not in westminster.

#48 is really good
  • icetreeunicetreeun Posts: 286Friend of Soompi

PINK'S Hot Dog

709 N. La Brea Blvd.,
    L.A., CA 90038.

http://www.pinkshollywood.com/

AWESOME food for a very decent price. image
    Not to mention you might be able to see celebrities there.
  • koneeekoneee san josePosts: 2,293Friend of Soompi
    edited February 2007
    Ok if any of you UCSC students are around, or you just happen to stop by Santa Cruz, California. LAS PALMAS Taco Bar is a MUST! OH I SWEAR IT'S A MUST!!! My friend bought me 2 tacos from there, and after one bite of the taco, it was just so heavenly and orgasmic AHHAHA, oh but I SWEAR IT IS SOOOO GOOD, I took my friend last Thursday, and after one bite from his burrito, he wanted to cry because it was just THAT GOOD! My friends and I always crave for it like basically EVERYDAY!

LAS PALMAS, Taco Bar
    55 Front St
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060-5427

You can just walk down towards the wharf from Downtown. Not hard to find, near the mini skate park.

Also in Santa Cruz, I hear there's a really good Japanese restuarant called Shogun. I have yet to try out this place but I've been hearing so many good things about it. It's on a pricey side so I hear, but it's worth it because of the quality and freshness of their dishes.

Shogun
    1123 Pacific Avenue
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

*edit, they have fewer selections then most Japanese restaurants, but they stuff was good, O DEAR! Their nigiri is freakin long! well.. the sashimi part, I have never seen the sashimi part be so long before with their itty bitty ball of rice, so that means it's worth your money. People drive like an hour to this place just to eat sushi, so it's pretty good.

THEY HAVE THE BEST CHICKEN TERIYAKI EVAR!!!!!

My bf just took me to this place (for those of you who live in SAN JOSE) called RINGER HUT, on SOUTH SARATOGA AVE. (passed Mitsuwa if youre coming from 280). I ordered their very well-known dish called the Nagasaki Champon, OH MY GOODNESS! It's delicious! mmmm image it was really good. It was my first time ever having this dish, and I know that I will forever crave for this, it was oh so very good.

In DOWNTOWN SAN JOSE, there's a sitdown/fastfood kind of place called SOMONA'S CHICKEN COOP. You can order to-go, or order and sit-down and eat it kind of place. Of course, this place serves chicken in their dishes, it's very affordable and delicious! Their salads are wonderful and their dishes are great! I highly don''t reccomend their chocolate hockey puck-ish kind of dessert though, it's tooo sweet (unless you're in love with chocolate or something)
  • xxlilshortyxxxxlilshortyxx Posts: 371Member
    i think benley is a good vietnamese resturant. it have the best noodle ever and the desert is good. benly is in long beach.
  • QUOTE(its`connie. @ Oct 6 2005, 07:28 PM) »

Palms *****

http://www.palmsthai.com/

5900 Hollywood Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90027-4912
    (323) 462-5073

The Scene
    You are now entering the Thai-light Zone. In the heart of Thai Town, Palms is the home of the Thai Elvis (aka Kevin), complete with platform shoes and flashy Vegas suits. At first, he seems over-the-top kitsch, but a few songs later, you'll realize he's actually quite good. Thanks to him, what used to be a low-key Thai dinner club scene now attracts a number of Hollywood hipsters.

The Food
    While the standards are superior, it's hard to resist the exotic specialties. Wild boar in spicy coconut sauce is chewy, but incredibly flavorful; deer in crispy mint leaves is rich and luscious; frogs legs fried in chili with green peppercorns are heavenly. Carpaccio fans will reach nirvana with the lime-drenched, basil-tinged, chili-infused raw beef salad. Milder thrills are found in the coconut-chicken soup or delicate fish broth, full of snapper floating in aromatic lime leaves.

i actually went to eat there on sat night..food isnt bad. price is decent..the wait is kind of long tho..so i suggest maybe reservations haha or go late like after 9 pm since they are open until 2 am..
    anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. but to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength
  • The Stinking Rose.. http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
    theres one in Beverly Hills and I guess in SF?
    The food is different..pretty good. Definitely a good place to try at least once.
    went there with this guy i was dating and now im plannin to take my parents there soon.

Little Malaysia
    El monte, Ca
    http://losangeles.citysearch.com/review/34...510___review__1
    my all time favorite place to eat with my family haha
    anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. but to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength
  • ohJOYohJOY Hello! CAPosts: 2,725Friend of Soompi
    NAME: Eat-A-Pita
    TYPE OF RESTAURANT: Gourmet Middle Eastern Cuisine
    STARS: *****(5/5 stars)
    PRICE: $ ($5 for a stuffed pita and around $10 for a huge plate of food)
    REVIEW: A friend of mine goes to UC Berkeley and took me to eat here last week. You can see them preparing your food because it's a rather small place. There are about 5 seats near the window, 7 to the left side of the restaurant, and a table for 12 smack dab in the middle. The plate has rice, the main dish of your choice, salad, hummus, and pita bread. Yum!

They have delicious Shawarma, Kebabs, Falafel, Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmades), Hummos, Tabouleh Salad, Baba Ghanooj and Kibbeh.

http://www.telegraphshop.com/pages/eatapita.html
    .Faith.Hope.Love.