Korean Songs With Great Melodies

Guest antares

Guest antares

Do they exist?? name them
Now prove me wrong folks....

While some Korean pop singers have wonderful voices, if you listen to the pure melodies in Kpop songs, in terms of songwriting the melodies are not that memorable compared to american songs like Wind Beneath My Wings, A Whole New World, etc. Those are songs that you can hum the melody after hearing the song just once, you may not remember all the words, but the melodies are so memorable. The choruses have huge, soaring memorable melodies. I guess the appealling thing for people who listen to Kpop is the beautiful voices (and sometimes looks too, come on you guys admit it!), a beautiful voice can make just practicing a major or minor scale (going up and down the scale) sound great, but really has no bearing on the quality of the melody itself. And by contrast, Bette Midler made that song Wind Beneath My Wings famous but her voice really sucks in my opinion, but the melody is so strong that it doesn't matter. Same with Cindy Lauper's True Colors, her voice stinks but the song overcomes that.

Some american music is so timeless, you have american songs some 60, 70 years old that are still being performed by todays artists, e.g. Over the Rainbow, Someday My Prince Will Come, etc. People still perform them because of the strength of the melodies.

Korean songwriters are following the rules of western harmony (chords/harmony originated from Europe—Bach, Mozart etc.) They’re using the correct notes. They are following western rules governing harmony, melodic phrasing, cadences, etc. But somehow their melodies are not memorable.

And so you don't think I'm biased towards only American pop songs, British songwriters write incredible memorable melodies too. Heck, mostly everything by the Beatles you can hum after listening to it just once--and John Lennon and Paul McCartney didn't really have nice voices in my opinion, it was just the strength of their songwriting. And I think anyone who listens to Queen's "We are the champions" can remember the melody after hearing it just once.

And another thing, it’s not just because american and british songs are in English. I can’t understand a word of Portuguese, but I adore the melodies of Brazillian Antonio Carlos Jobim, and he is loved by many Americans, and Americans perform his songs all the time because he wrote fabulous melodies, and some of his songs are over 40 years old btw.

Heck you don't even need words at all, many of Mozart's melodies are unforgetable and that's with no lyrics, e.g. Eine kleine Nachtmusik.

Anyway, I think that the reason that the Korean pop songwriters aren’t that good is that the Kpop industry hasn't been around that long compared to the american industry, so americans have more experience in songwriting. Again South Korea has some great singers, it's just that their songwriters aren't that good in my opinion....

Now I haven’t heard every single Korean pop song that was ever recorded. There may be something out there that I haven’t heard yet. But so far, I’ve never heard a single Kpop song with a melody that really grabs me, and slaps me across the face like the American songs I mentioned above. And I can’t remember all the words for all the American songs, but the melodies stick in my head. I remember someone on soompi making the comment that he noticed that when he tries to sing the melody to a new Kpop song that he’s trying to find out the title of from his friends, he can’t hum the melody for them, whereas with the good American songs, the melody sticks in your head and you can sing it later.

Again I haven’t heard every Kpop song, so if you guys/gals have a Kpop song in mind with a great soaring memorable melody, please list them here and I’ll go check it out, and actually everyone go check out the song and see if the melody is memorable.

And be honest now.....can you hum the melody after hearing the song just once? And maybe as an experiment, play the song for someone who’s never heard it before and see if they can hum the melody afterwards. Or play it/compare it side by side with We Are The Champions, or Wind Beneath My Wings. One more test of the song, does it sound good without a guitar or piano? Does it sound good all by itself accapella? Many of the Beatles songs do, as well as the songs above. That Beatles song “With a little help of my friends,” I can’t remember all the words most times, but man, after just singing the first line of that song, I can hum the whole melody of the song, and it sticks in my brain for like half and hour at least. Everytime...

Anyways, list Kpop songs with memorable melodies here....and again, focus on the melody, not the quality of the vocalist.

Guest Crispy

I'll write out a detailed reply later. Hahaha, too lazy right now. ;p

But keep this in mind... all those songs that you mentioned (Mozart, Midler, Queen, etc. etc.)... you grew up hearing those songs. The "classics".

They're pop culture (albeit old). So, of course you're going to remember the melody.

I'm going to assume that most of the Korean songs you listen to, you're listening to for the first time.

If you go to Korea, there are plenty of songs that almost every Korean knows by heart, such as Arirang (the folksong, not the SG Wannabe version... hahaha).

Anywho. I'll elaborate later. ;]

Guest antares

On a side note, some people might dismiss Christmas songs as "just" Christmas songs, but even american Christmas songs have some unforgettable melodies. “I’ll be home for Christmas” and “The Christmas song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)” have amazing melodies which make them unforgettable. The latter was written by jazz singer Mel Torme and it’s a jazz piece if you look at the chord progression (and you’ll find the song in jazz fakebooks). But you don’t think of it as jazz (some people are turned off at the word), because the melody is so strong. These songs become Christmas classics for a reason. South Koreans sing some of these american/western Christmas songs at Christmas, it doesn't work the other way around.

Guest antares

But keep this in mind... all those songs that you mentioned (Mozart, Midler, Queen, etc. etc.)... you grew up hearing those songs. The "classics".

They're pop culture (albeit old). So, of course you're going to remember the melody.

That's not a valid argument.....I came out of the theater after watching Mulan, and I was humming “Reflection”, and so was my friend. That’s after hearing the song ONE time..... One time only.....

I could listen to “I do” by Bi or “Crazy” by Shinhwa a dozen times, and the melody will still not stick in my head no matter how many times I listen to it, sure I can sing it, but it will not stick like glue.

I know this is a Kpop forum so people will be biased, but honestly put those songs side by side, and tell me which has a more memorable melody.

Guest sikhye

Irony by Wonder Girls because it's soooo catchy

just kidding

I know what you're talking about. I remember some Korean ballads because I kept forcing myself to listen to it. :/ and it was only two songs...

Kpop has nothing unique about it, example:

ballads - they all sound the same (See Ya's Crazy Love Song sounds like SG Wannabe's Cactus) And no it's not cause they're female/male versions of each other, most of these songs talk about how they lost their lover and desrcibe it by saying "guriwo!! :'("

I'm trying to find some Kpop singer who is a little more experimental, (Not Clazziquai with their animal nose effects) have more freedom in their music, etc. but nope I can't find any. :(

Guest antares

Irony by Wonder Girls because it's soooo catchy

just kidding

hmmm, now you've got me interested to hear what it sounds like, must be bad??

yeah, most kpop ballads (from my experience) are basically all the same. I guess the only ballad singer/group i can recommend is Big Mama. They're a mix of jazz, r&b, ballads, etc. so IMO a few of their songs are a bit mroe diverse than the usual cookie cutter ballad.

Guest fairylight

Try As One, they're unique, they only name i can remember.

American music industry nowaday don't have the songs that're "timeless" either.

I agree that Kpop almost don't have songs to remember for time but ppl hear music for relax so they don't expect so much in songs. It's cool to listen to Wonder Girls's Irony too, just kidding.

ballads - they all sound the same (See Ya's Crazy Love Song sounds like SG Wannabe's Cactus) And no it's not cause they're female/male versions of each other, most of these songs talk about how they lost their lover and desrcibe it by saying "guriwo!! :'("

I totally agree, not only See Ya & SG Wannabe but also many Korean ballad artists have similar songs. One friend of mine calls it "typical" ballad style ^0^ In my opinion, Kpop have TOO much ballad.

Guest antares

Try As One, they're unique, they only name i can remember.

American music industry nowaday don't have the songs that're "timeless" either.

I agree that Kpop almost don't have songs to remember for time but ppl hear music for relax so they don't expect so much in songs. It's cool to listen to Wonder Girls's Irony too, just kidding.

yes, not all american songs have memorable melodies, there are american songs with terrible, horrible melodies that I never never want to hear again. some american songs have NO melodies of course, like some of american rap/hip-hop, I really do not like some of those at all.

But having said that, the best american and british songs can not be touched by anthing that I've heard of Kpop songs. man the Beatles had something like 40 top ten hits in the USA. They wrote some incredible melodies....

Guest Hitorijime

Personally, I found Byul's "I think I" has a great melody. The chorus is so unforgettable and I hummed to it the first day I ever heard it. The reason why so many songs are memorable are because they are simple, which is what I see in I think I.

this topic is so subjective. What makes a "great melody" depends on personal tastes...

I like the ballad/pop genre and maybe a bit of R&B

I'm a big dbsk fan for a reason

DBSK (dont dismiss them cuz they're a boyband)

Hey Girl (written by an american artist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Na3oR5Qjw

that song was looping for days on my mp3 player (i don't think i've deleted it off my mp3 player

Tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkIMMr64pWc

one:

FTTS.

Poison Ivy

Be with you (the second song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLkcdWgcNDQ

Guest yoishi

I think it depends on people who listen to it. Because each of people's taste are different from one and another. I'm not being biased, but face it, american songs like now it's not like in 70s,80s or even in 90s. They are easily to forget, even the lyrics are easily to forget. They will be only about 1 or 2 songs that memorable. But only in few months. Look at 70's song. You still able to hear it until now. Like the song "I am a great Pretender..". That like timeless song. In korean song, there are some that memorable too. I like "Candy" by HOT. And by hearing the melodies you will be remembered it foreve. It's trully depends on people's taste.

Guest kingko

^ yes Candy by H.O.t is a Classic. There are some Korean songs that have really good melodies. Songs like Kaseum Apuhdo by Fly to the Sky has a good meldy. I'll miss you by Kim Bum Soo has a good melody too. Most of all OST songs have good melodies like Full House and in Yun from Fire bird. Some old bands like H.O.T, G.O.D, and Sechskies have good songs. H.O.T has Song for the Lady. G.O.D has Path, and Sechskies has Couple. You should listen to all the songs i've lsitened too. I still listen to them even though they are all very old.

It really depends on the person. For me I remember nearly every song that I liked (even though i may not like it now) to the point where i can distinguish songs that have similar intros, such as Lee Jung Hyun's Summer Dance and one Lim Chang Jung song, which start with the sound of waves. Probably because they have pretty unique intros. for instance I know I am listening to DBSK's O when I hear Micky say 'yo u-know let's try some noisy beat' or the sound of that horse when I listen to Koyote's Soon Jung. For me, all songs I liked were memorable and i have a hard time forgetting song i like, like when i got tired of listening to Brand New and then i listen to it 6 months later, i still remember the lyrics and the song.

However, to people who can't remember as much as i can (though i would love to forget the mattress song), i find Solid's Chun Saeng Yeon Boon to have a memorable melody. Even my 19 year old friend remembers it, even though she stopped listening to it several years ago. I think it's because of its slow intro which randomly becomes upbeat. I also remember Cho PD's Friends song, with its surreal intro and especially the idea to put violins in there, because it started to pull out emotions as i was listening to the song (i can't explain but you've probably felt it before if you listen to a lot of ballads)

Guest Crispy

Haha, I'm probably gonna sound defensive as hell with what I'm gonna say next, but bear with me. ;p

I'm not really trying to debate -- just saying what's on my mind. ;D

On a side note, some people might dismiss Christmas songs as "just" Christmas songs, but even american Christmas songs have some unforgettable melodies. “I’ll be home for Christmas” and “The Christmas song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)” have amazing melodies which make them unforgettable. The latter was written by jazz singer Mel Torme and it’s a jazz piece if you look at the chord progression (and you’ll find the song in jazz fakebooks). But you don’t think of it as jazz (some people are turned off at the word), because the melody is so strong. These songs become Christmas classics for a reason. South Koreans sing some of these american/western Christmas songs at Christmas, it doesn't work the other way around.

For starters, you're right.

People don't look at The Christmas Song as a jazz chart. ... they look at it as a Christmas carol that they've heard ever since they were born. How can they not be unforgettable?

Honestly, I don't know where you were going with that whole jazz tangent, ahaha.

Koreans do know some English Christmas carols, but only because English is a widespread language. With the language, comes the culture.

That's not a valid argument.....I came out of the theater after watching Mulan, and I was humming “Reflection”, and so was my friend. That’s after hearing the song ONE time..... One time only.....

I could listen to “I do” by Bi or “Crazy” by Shinhwa a dozen times, and the melody will still not stick in my head no matter how many times I listen to it, sure I can sing it, but it will not stick like glue.

I know this is a Kpop forum so people will be biased, but honestly put those songs side by side, and tell me which has a more memorable melody.

Well. Let's get one thing out of the way first: Mulan (and its OST) kicks richard simmons. ;D

But then again, you say that you hummed it right after you left the theater... that doesn't seem like such a feat to me.

(slight tangent: also, when you're watching a movie, of course you're going to be listening intently to the song, which is different from listening to a song from, say, the radio or your computer -- you'll most likely be multitasking and not really paying attention)

Here's my main point: look at the songs you referenced.

Sure, while Bi and Shinhwa may be huge (I'm not gonna argue that they're not a big influence on the industry), you seem like you're only listening to Korean music directed towards the teen (especially fangirl) demographic.

Honestly, I don't think that the American counterparts of these artists have songs that are nearly as "memorable" as the English classics that you described earlier.

I'm not trying to criticize your taste in (Korean) music or anything, but have you ever listened to any of the more vocally-respected singers in the industry? (once again, I'm not bashing Bi, Shinhwa, or any other mainstream artist)

Let me give you some examples:

성시경 (Sung Si Kyung) - "거리에서" (On the Street) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj6LkFCAJks

What a beautiful song (and not just because of his BEAUUUUTIFUL vocals). You can almost visualize the notes ascending and descending in both the verses and the melody. One of my favorite songs of all time.

And to further my point, here's a clip of him singing it in saturi (think of it as... Korean "redneck" slang). The words are almost completely different, yet the melody is still as amazing as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHhlNbhonQ

SG Wannabe - "내 사람 - Partner For Life" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o263xozn-hk

Ignore the dancers in that clip, HAHA. Stupid YouTube took down all the other good perfs of that song. T__T

Anywho, another of my favorite songs. The way that the chorus begins low, but gradually ascends, is one of the many things that makes this track great.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-naaaaa... ahaha. I was humming that the first day I heard it.

김범수 (Kim Bum Soo) - "보고싶다" (I Miss You) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3uRQc_qIA

This song is like a staple to Koreans, hahaha. ;p

Much like SG Wannabe - "내 사람 - Partner For Life", it starts off low but then quickly ascends until it reaches an explosive chorus.

This is definitely a classic Korean song.

(Just as a bonus ;p:

)

I might post some more later... getting really tired. Hahaha.

But you get the picture.

EDIT - Oh, and I agree with 별 (Byul) - "I Think I", G.O.D. - "길" (Road), and Fly to the Sky - "가슴 아파도" (Even Though My Heart Hurts) that was mentioned by others earlier.

Guest antares

DBSK (dont dismiss them cuz they're a boyband)

Hey Girl (written by an american artist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Na3oR5Qjw

that song was looping for days on my mp3 player (i don't think i've deleted it off my mp3 player

Tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkIMMr64pWc

one:

FTTS.

Poison Ivy

Be with you (the second song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLkcdWgcNDQ

I listened to "Tonight" twice through. It's okay. I guess the "hook" melody is suppose to be the "stolen my heart" part, it's okay, but it doesn't grab me. The singing is good though. Most of the song is not that hummable (is that a word?).

But I'm wondering, have you heard all the above songs that I mentioned in the first post. I mean compare it to the Beatles "With a little help from my friends," it's not even close.

Or maybe "Save the best for last" "Reflection," songs with soaring melodies spread out over big melodic intervals. Those are the kind of songs that usually grab people's attention and keep it.

"Tonight" is more a showcase for the singers to riff/improv, there's nothing wrong with that, but really the only part of the song where the melody is clearly defined is the "stolen my heart" part and even then it's just okay.

I'll listen to the others in a bit. Thanks for the web links.

Guest `kamikaze

hmm.. i think "One" - TVXQ

its a pretty good soulful song..

ahaha but yeah i recommend that..

and if you are one for really STRONG vocals, i then recommend "Nevermind" - Big Mama &. "Butterfly Grave" - TAKE.

well thats i think =] , the melodies in this song have a great texture to it.

Guest HELLnawITSc

It's obviously all personal preference. If you don't like the style of music that is popular in Korea, you're not going to care to remember it.

Korea and America has similarities but also differences that sets each other apart. Just cause you don't find melodies of songs extremely catchy, doesn't mean others won't either.

I personally didn't like a lot of the songs you mentioned, such as "We Are the Champions," and have heard almost every Beetles song but don't remember a single one, so it can go both ways. Korean music is obviously not your thing. I suggest you give up trying, and try looking for whatever fits your taste else where because I doubt you'll find it here.

Guest twothree

It's obviously all personal preference. If you don't like the style of music that is popular in Korea, you're not going to care to remember it.

Korea and America has similarities but also differences that sets each other apart. Just casue you don't find melodies extremely catchy, doesn't mean others won't either. Korean music is obviously not your thing. I suggest you give up trying, and try looking for whatever fits your taste else where becasue I doubt you'll find it here.

yeah, i agree with everything you said there.

Even though I'm an American, I am not in love with the "classics," but just know of them. I'm not into the Christmas songs. those traditional songs compared to the modern songs of today is unfair. When I first heard "We Are the Champions," I remember the beat, but I can say that about every song that attracts me, like Full House main theme song by Why and Bi's Sad Tango. Since I'm not Korean, I do not understand the content of the song, but I am able to enjoy the music itself. Again, personal preference. "We Are the Champion" became famous because of the movie, right? It was a theme song which became really big. Winter Sonata's main theme became really big too.

Archived