Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fitness, diet, training

Replies

• rachilderachilde United StatesPosts: 2,332Member
    @cd27mu The only way to slim any part of your body is to reduce fat in general.  That usually means eating right with a calorie deficit as well as cardio.  However, since you're at a pretty low weight already, I would recommend netting a maintenance amount of calories and then adding in strength training.  Maintenance calories + strength training = increasing muscle while decreasing fat.  You will slim down and tone but your weight probably won't see any drastic changes.  

You haven't really given us any information about what you currently eat so it's tough to give you recommendations.  You can check out the best diets according to nutritional completeness here:  http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

Changing your diet and eating right doesn't need to take a sudden change.  It can be as simple as cutting out soda for 21 days first--you can actually lose a huge amount of weight just by cutting out soda since sodas are so high in sugar and calories.  Or, it could mean just swapping out beef for lean chicken or seafood.  Or, it could mean replacing butter in your food with olive oil.  Basically, every little change counts because calories do add up very quickly.
    cd27mu
  • simplistic_aznsimplistic_azn Posts: 4Member
    Hi! I'm wondering what is the best way for me to gain weight the healthy way.  I'm currently 102lbs 5'2 (girl).  Right now I'm doing about 40 minutes of interval light jogging and speed walking and then some lifting after.  As for my diet, I'm drinking 30 grams of a protein shake twice a day and trying to do 2100 calories a day but its hard because of my schedule so I usually end up with about 1800 calories.   My goal is to get to about 115 pounds, be toned (I especially want to see some abs and arms definition) and be physically stronger overall.  So, what are some things I should do to get to my goal faster. Thanks!
  • Kskano713Kskano713 Posts: 838Member
    Hello all. I have a question to ask. I am aiming to lose weight and I was wondering which exercise equipment at the gym I should focus on if I want to lose my love handles? Don't worry, I plan on exercising my entire body but I want to concentrate on losing my waist first.
    Hey! Sorry I am answering your question so late >.< Anyways, you want to target your love handles, right? If I am right in saying this (by no means am I a professional!), your love handles are also known as your obliques. Blogilates does an amazing video on youtube called "As Long As You Love Me Love Handles" that targets your desired area. Another amazing video by her is callled "Serious Standing Pilates for Legs, Butt, and Obliques". Try it out, okay? Sorry I couldn't answer your question about which excercise equiptment you would use, I rarely ever go to the gym. :) Good luck!
  • juiceyboxjuiceybox Woodbridge, OntarioPosts: 997Member

IDOL

Hey everyone! I recently got a gym membership and all i've been doing is cardio exercises on the machines. I really start working on my goal of toning up my legs, butt and getting some girl abs showing. How would I achieve that? My friends have been telling me to do lunges, deadlifts and squats, but does it matter how many sets/reps? I am trying to make a workout routine but I have no clue what exercises to do! Help or suggestions please (especially on sets and reps)? :(
    Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • anniesialoanniesialo Posts: 19Member
    Even I am planning to start going for gym classes but a little suspicious about the results. I mean I am not sure about the diet I should be following once I start going to gym classes.
  • hellokatie1618hellokatie1618 MinnesotaPosts: 447Member

IDOL

Hey everyone! I recently got a gym membership and all i've been doing is cardio exercises on the machines. I really start working on my goal of toning up my legs, butt and getting some girl abs showing. How would I achieve that? My friends have been telling me to do lunges, deadlifts and squats, but does it matter how many sets/reps? I am trying to make a workout routine but I have no clue what exercises to do! Help or suggestions please (especially on sets and reps)? :(

Are you going to work a lot less if you think you'll get man abs? (not that you have the discipline to do anyway) Anyway, go to bodybuilding.com and pick the body of the fitness model you want that you like the best, and it tells you their workouts, they have videos, their caloric intake, how much water they drink and how much they eat and what they eat. I warn you though all of them have.... *ahem* "man abs" so maybe you might be scared off...
    Appreciate the bad things in life, then will the good things shine through
  • KyosukemoxKyosukemox Posts: 127Member

Are you going to work a lot less if you think you'll get man abs? (not that you have the discipline to do anyway) Anyway, go to bodybuilding.com and pick the body of the fitness model you want that you like the best, and it tells you their workouts, they have videos, their caloric intake, how much water they drink and how much they eat and what they eat. I warn you though all of them have.... *ahem* "man abs" so maybe you might be scared off...
    ^I second this. That site is pretty reliable.

I wanted to ask, does your gym offer any classes for kick boxing, dancing, yoga, spinning, etc? I would highly recommend that you take any of those classes if they are available to you. They are both fun and will yield the results you are looking for. For abs, it's mainly nutrition and a healthy lifestyle that will net you them.. 

I would suggest that you eat 6 small meals a day with healthy snacks in between (nuts, dried fruit, etc.). Drink water and refrain from drinking soft drinks and beer. Chicken breast should be your main source of protein unless you plan to take some whey protein though it is not necessary. Eat a lot of veggies and fruits for vitamins and fibers.  Once you get into the habit of eating smaller portions, your stomach will adapt and shrink accordingly and as a result you won't be hungry as often as you used to be. Also, go for a job or a walk every now and then; it's both relaxing and beneficial towards attaining your training goals. Lastly, its always fun to find a training partner; share the experience with your best friend or your boyfriend; it's just another reason to hang out and have some fun!
  • simplyythuyvansimplyythuyvan USAPosts: 185Member
    Hello all, I'd like for everyone's help and support. My older brother and my brother in law is in a fitness competition and would like for support by simply clicking the link provided, like the link, then like them. (team YELLA FELLA). Thank you all SOOOO MUCH in advanced. :) 

• strawberry92strawberry92 italyPosts: 18Member
    edited August 2012
    nevermind, please ignore my post
  • jdb4jlbjdb4jlb Posts: 3New Member
    Hey guys, I found this great article about weight loss, check it out here:

http://generalhealth.ucoz.com/load/weight_loss/3_simple_tips/6-1-0-23
  • floralacyfloralacy Posts: 1New Member
    i have a question. when i'm speedwalking on my treadmill i like to use dumbbells. but the dumbbells are so light. how heavy should they be?
    I would recommend dumbbells that are 1kg each or .5kg would do, it can help you grip better.
  • george12george12 Posts: 2New Member
    That was very nice on your part nojeel. I myself do weight training from last 15 days and looking for building a perfect muscle. I do every kind of exercise so do you think i must take a supplement for building a good muscle. I eat healthy meals during the daytime and avoid any type of junk foods.
  • chorlauheungchorlauheung Posts: 7Member

ROOKIE

anyone who wants to do hardcore cardio should just jump rope. a solid jump rope only costs 5 bucks and 10-15 minutes HIIT training with yield same results as 45-1 hour of jogging
  • littlesoompishoplittlesoompishop Posts: 15Member
    wow! love this thread. I work for a health and nutrition company but I would love to learn more about training ! I'm definitely looking to lean up my triceps and inner thighs. any thoughts? 

I have a healthy diet consisted of lots of water, small portions, and supplements. 
    Physical activity is very active. I do belly dancing and gym 2X a week alternating upper body and lower body weights. Cardio each time.

• danielletaylordanielletaylor Posts: 6Member
    The things I do in order to stay fit is jog in one spot for 30 mins and for things I look at this website:

youtube has a lot of really cool vids too.
  • Shimizu MiyukiShimizu Miyuki San FranciscoPosts: 51Member, New Member
    Hello, I'm high school student. Mostly busy doing school works/studying. I wake up early around 5ish to go to school. So like don't have to eat breakfast much.
    I eat 2 meal a day lunch and dinner.
    I'm like 100 pounds and 5'2 tall.
    I have big stomach. Its chubby and fat and sticks out. I want to get ride of it.
    What can I do to shrink my stomach?
    I also sometimes practice kpop dance, but I don't sweat....

• johnnmack102johnnmack102 Posts: 1New Member
    Hello,
    welcome to this forum site. This forum site is useful to us to find solution regarding your health related problems. I am not dyslexia expert so I am unable to sort out your problems please contact to dyslexia experts.
    DENGUE HEMORRHAGIC FEVER

• bubblyteaxbubblyteax Posts: 217Member

ROOKIE

I go to the gym EVERYDAY, but I don't ever lose weight.. I'm thinking about cutting out my dinner so that I won't be eating at night.

I do cardio at the gym AND muscle machines for my legs. I can lift 130lbs with my legs. I'm kind of hoping my weight loss isn't decreasing because of my muscle gain.. please tell me that's why I haven't lost weight! D:

t70rhw.jpg S i m p l e
    and C l e a n
  • dolcedor.dolcedor. Posts: 2,626Member

IDOL

I go to the gym EVERYDAY, but I don't ever lose weight.. I'm thinking about cutting out my dinner so that I won't be eating at night.

I do cardio at the gym AND muscle machines for my legs. I can lift 130lbs with my legs. I'm kind of hoping my weight loss isn't decreasing because of my muscle gain.. please tell me that's why I haven't lost weight! D:

Weight loss and gain have everything to do with how much food you're eating. Think about it--the mass (whether it's an increase or decrease) comes from food. How long have you been working out, by the way? It takes a while to see change. Generally, you can safely lose 0.5-1 pound a week. On top of that, your weight can fluctuate 2-4 pounds throughout the day, so you might be losing weight and not know it.

I wouldn't cut out dinner entirely. If you've been working out for a month or longer and haven't seen any changes at all, I would just eat smaller meals. It'll definitely help if you track your food intake; you could be eating more than you think. Personally, I like using http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
  • ajlee613ajlee613 Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 4,710Member

SUPERSTAR

weight loss is mostly about diet, excersize is for being healthy, u kno stronger, more endurance, dont loose ur breath as fast etc.

but when it comes to weight loss, diet is the biggest contributing factor, any exercise u do is to supplement the diet. for example if u eat 1000 calories a day, and u burn 2000 if ur a guy and closer to 1600 if ur a girl, eating 1000 calories means u will loose like 1/5 a pound a day, so a bit more than 1 pound a week.

when u eat too much and go over the limit you do cardio in order to burn that extra. 

resistance training is very important so that your body will naturally burn more calories during the regular day.

if you exercise everyday burning say 400 calories during the session, u would have burned around 50 - 100 calories anyways if you were just doing somthing else assuming u spend about an hour or a bit more per session. so actually u are burning closer to 300 to 350, on top of that, you will probably eat slightly more unless u measure ur food, and that 100 calories is super easy to consume, it is like a small yogurt or snack pack of crackers. and then u lie down for a while and be a couch potato thinking u can relax since u worked out, in the end if u exhaust urself like that at the gym all the time u wont loose weight, u will break even... light excersize, good diet. that is key. and build enough muscle to boost motabolism 
    Think about all the things in this life that hurts you... do not do those things.