Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fitness, diet, training

NojeelNojeel Little Rock, ARPosts: 240Member
edited April 2007 in fitness & sports
Discuss
Hi everyone, I made this thread because the pinned thread about fitness tips seemed too cluttered. Anyways.... image

My name's Jon and I'm a fitness trainer and currently studying optimum and performance nutrition as well.

I noticed alot of people in that pinned thread above have alot of misconceptions on losing weight and getting fit. I see alot of people talking about crash dieting which is a big no no image

First off ladies:

I know most of yall have trouble lifting weights because your afraid to get "bulky". Well the truth is it is really hard for yall to get that look. You must incorporate weight training in your program with a steady diet, as in eating anywhere between 6-8 times a day. To burn off fat you NEED to build muscle. Hence, gaining muscle well also boost your metabolism (which will in return help you burn more calories), strip fat and get lean.

Guys:

Yall need to eat. And I mean EAT image You can't get that muscular look if your working with a body type where your skinnier then your little sister image We men have a huge amount of testosterone and they have not let release in our manly bodies. etc etc.

Can I promise you the perfect body that you desire? No I can't

Can I promise you with all the essential basic and groundworks to starting a diet and exercise program that can help lay the foundation that can help you achieve your fitness goals? Absolutely

Everybody is different, we have different genetics, different body types. I can go on forever about myths and what's real, what's fake blah blah blah about bodybuilding. And I'm here to help yall as much as I can with the knowledge I possess.

If you have any questions about supplements (diet pills, creatine) I will give you opinions on some products I, myself have personally used or has known someone who has used them.

Why am I doing this. Well recently I suffered a injury while in a raquetball competition and I fractured my ankle. Therefore I can't work and all I can do is sit on my Richard Simmons most of the time and I want to be productive while I'm in this whackass situation. image Plus I think this website and it's members are great and it's a way for me to help contribute to this forum. image
BattleRoyaleLinhieeepink_chocolateGirlfriendcookiemonstaatonyagentkebb4cadyatmws

Replies

• da heeda hee Posts: 1,013Member
    Oh wow, I really wanted a fitness trainer in here. yay!
    Ok so I'll start off...I have a treadmill at home and 2 dumbbells...the lighest ones available..what do you recommend I do? should i run on the treadmill then use the dumbbells? i usually run/power walk for 10 minutes on the treadmill and do 1 set of 100 on the dumbbell. then i go back and forth 2 more times which comes out to be total of 30 minutes on the mill and 3 sets of 100 of the dumbbells. is this method okay?
    sansua
  • NojeelNojeel Little Rock, ARPosts: 240Member
    QUOTE(da hee @ Apr 30 2007, 01:01 AM) »
    Ok so I'll start off...I have a treadmill at home and 2 dumbbells...the lighest ones available..what do you recommend I do? should i run on the treadmill then use the dumbbells? i usually run/power walk for 10 minutes on the treadmill and do 1 set of 100 on the dumbbell. then i go back and forth 2 more times which comes out to be total of 30 minutes on the mill and 3 sets of 100 of the dumbbells. is this method okay?
    Hmm...it seems to me your doing more of a cardio based type exercise. I'm sorry to say, but this method will only get you so far. If your using this method of trying to lose weight, you need to up your difficulty. You need to keep challenging your body so your body won't think the workouts will be easy. You need to keep on surprising your body so that it will work harder to do what you want it to do.

Let me ask you this, are you doing this exercise for maintaining weight or losing weight? If you feel uncomfortable of telling me your height and weight, you can pm me image
  • .moony..moony. < aka sunmoon > Posts: 4,135Friend of Soompi
    edited April 2007
    QUOTE(da hee @ Apr 30 2007, 02:01 AM) »

May I ask where you got your dumbbells...I really wanna get some >.<
    Hi Jon I have a question XD I'm trying to build more muscles on my arms since they are tiny image I don't know what kind of excercises I should do. I heard about weight lifting but I'm not sure like how many I should start off doing?
    I hope my question is not too general. Oh Im a girl trying to gain weight btw (if that helps) >.<
    Thanks much ^^ Hope ur ankles will heal soon.

sunmoonzz7.jpg
    Pretty banner credits to the lovely Clemence <3 Pretty avatar credits to sweet EJ;kim <33
    My shop ^^
  • da heeda hee Posts: 1,013Member
    well i just recently started on this exercise..so i figured it would be best to start small instead of challenging myself from the very first ^^ i got the treadmill 2 days ago so i basically started 2 days ago..i am planning on challenging myself on the way..and yes, i am trying to lose weight.
    sunmoon: i got them at big 5 =] it was really cheap too, although i don't remember the exact price.
    edited April 2007
    QUOTE(sunmoon @ Apr 30 2007, 01:16 AM) »
    May I ask where you got your dumbbells...I really wanna get some >.<
    Hi Jon I have a question XD I'm trying to build more muscles on my arms since they are tiny image I don't know what kind of excercises I should do. I heard about weight lifting but I'm not sure like how many I should start off doing?
    I hope my question is not too general. Oh Im a girl trying to gain weight btw >.<

Mmm..that is kind of a broad question. I'm guessing your a really skinny girl and would like to 'tone' up a little bit correct? Well the thing is, woman have a more difficult time building muscle due to very low amount of testosterone women have. To gain muscle, for a girl like you I suggest using weightlifting in moderate sessions. Keep the weights you train with to around where you can do about 16-20 reps. So while doing this many reps with the weight your using your gaining muscle without gaining alot of size, cause to gain size you need to lift heavy and do low amount reps (2-6). Hope this was some help.

QUOTE(da hee @ Apr 30 2007, 01:19 AM) »
    well i just recently started on this exercise..so i figured it would be best to start small instead of challenging myself from the very first ^^ i got the treadmill 2 days ago so i basically started 2 days ago..i am planning on challenging myself on the way..and yes, i am trying to lose weight.
    sunmoon: i got them at big 5 =] it was really cheap too, although i don't remember the exact price.
    Well, that's fine if your just trying to moderately lose weight only. But remember about losing weight, you need to eat to keep your metabolism up. I know you think it's difficult, but to lose weight the HEALTHY way, you need constantly eat small portion meals 6-8 times a day. Remember, you can only lose weight when your burning more calories and fat then your eating image Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.
  • babi_girlbabi_girl Posts: 162Member
    Hi Jon ! thanks for making this thread =) .. i started my diet a week ago.. cutting down the junk and eating healthier and i lost 2 pounds so far =DD so happy... but i want to ask if there are any exercises that help reduce upper body fat around the shoulder and back area... i used to swim a lot so i have really broad shoulders and big/strong arms lol .. so sad since i m a girl. =(
    不能說的秘密~-
  • wasabi29wasabi29 Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaPosts: 1,290Member

ROOKIE

Oooh this is great..I just joined gym yesterday too.

You see for several personal reasons, I quit gym for a while after doing it for 2 years, the result was I gained 7 kgs and now I'm trying to shed 5 kgs off..When I go to the gym, all I do is spend an hour on treadmill and go for body combat classes.

Can you suggest me other cardio activities that are good for burning fats? I'm an Apple shape so I tend to store fats in my stomach..do you have any ways to suggest how to get rid of those? I don't think I'm up to do those crunches and whatnots, can I do it purely from cardio activities?

And is it possible for me to lose 5 kgs in 5 weeks? Or is that just too far fetched and unhealthy?

Do you suggest going to the gym with an empty stomach or after having something?

Can you give me tips to lose calories the fast way?

Gah, so much questions..sorry about that..but it would be splendid if you could answer them all.
    -What I say, most of the time....It's right...So just accept it and save it into your system-
    priscitelicious
    edited April 2007
    QUOTE(babi_girl @ Apr 30 2007, 01:40 AM) »
    Hi Jon ! thanks for making this thread =) .. i started my diet a week ago.. cutting down the junk and eating healthier and i lost 2 pounds so far =DD so happy... but i want to ask if there are any exercises that help reduce upper body fat around the shoulder and back area... i used to swim a lot so i have really broad shoulders and big/strong arms lol .. so sad since i m a girl. =(

You lost two pounds? That's awesome, keep at it image Well some shoulder exercises you can do is dumbell shoulder presses which targets your anterior deltoids which is the front part of shoulders, barbell lateral raises which the lateral/side/upper, reverse flies which targets your posterior (small muscle under your shoulder blades) these are some relatively good exercises. As for your upper/mid/lower back area. For a girl like you who have a genetically broad shoulders, stick too a few free weight exersices and stick to mostly cables. Such as cable rows, cable pulldowns, one handed cable rows. If you don't really recongize the name of some of these exercises, I will gladly send you some links that shows pictures and how to do these exercises correctly. image

QUOTE(wasabi29 @ Apr 30 2007, 01:45 AM) »
    Oooh this is great..I just joined gym yesterday too.

You see for several personal reasons, I quit gym for a while after doing it for 2 years, the result was I gained 7 kgs and now I'm trying to shed 5 kgs off..When I go to the gym, all I do is spend an hour on treadmill and go for body combat classes.

Can you suggest me other cardio activities that are good for burning fats? I'm an Apple shape so I tend to store fats in my stomach..do you have any ways to suggest how to get rid of those? I don't think I'm up to do those crunches and whatnots, can I do it purely from cardio activities?

And is it possible for me to lose 5 kgs in 5 weeks? Or is that just too far fetched and unhealthy?

Do you suggest going to the gym with an empty stomach or after having something?

Can you give me tips to lose calories the fast way?

Gah, so much questions..sorry about that..but it would be splendid if you could answer them all.

No problem, that's what I'm here for image.

5kg in 5 weeks is realistic, but it really also depends on how much you weigh right now, if you don't weigh that much to begin with, your gonna have difficulty losing that much weight in that time, and vice versa image

1st. Don't work out on an empty stomach, you must consume eat some slow digesting carbed meal with sufficent amount of protein 45min-1hour before you workout, it gives you enery to BURN.

2nd. Alot of things help to make you lose weight faster. Any supplement or foods that have caffeine for example, spicy food will also boost your metabolism. I can go on this subject, but there's a couple.

3rd. Upper and Middle abs are not as stubborn as the obliques(love handles) and lower abs are. Obliques can be handled with crunches and etc. But lower abs you can do as many crunches as you want but you can't get it to show it like that. Cardio is the only way for your LOWER abs to finally burn off.

4th. Do some aerobic workouts. Your local gym should have tons of them, their always fun and interesting, try them, don't be nervous about all those other people, you'll get used to them. hope this was a help. image
  • PINKXDREAMERPINKXDREAMER orange countyPosts: 1,769Member
    edited April 2007
    i have a question. when i'm speedwalking on my treadmill i like to use dumbbells. but the dumbbells are so light. how heavy should they be?
    edited April 2007
    QUOTE(PINKXDREAMER @ Apr 30 2007, 01:52 AM) »
    i have a question. when i'm speedwalking on my treadmill i like to use dumbbells. but the dumbbells are so light. how heavy should they be?

Well first, how long are you on the treadmill?? Usually, I prefer people walking with dumbells do it as a prework, warmup 10-15min. I honestly don't recommend walking/running with dumbells as your main workout program cause it can get dangerous no matter how light it is, they can unneccessarily cause fatigue and slowly tear down your forearms, biceps and your elbows if you run/walk with dumbells for a long period of time.
  • sapphiesapphie Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 65Member
    edited April 2007
    I have a question as well.

My thighs are huge. I think it's heriditary, because most of my aunts and my grandmother have the same thing going on, and none of them are overweight.

But moving on, what's the best way to slim down my thighs? I'm on the treadmill 3 times a week for 45 minutes each time, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm also eating right, and I've completley cut junk food out of my diet. Any help would be appreciated image

Thanks in advance.
    edited April 2007
    QUOTE(sapphie @ Apr 30 2007, 02:16 AM) »
    I have a question as well.

My thighs are huge, and I'm talking about them being nearly twice as big as my lower legs. I think it's heriditary, because most of my aunts and my grandmother have the same thing going on, and none of them are overweight.

But moving on, what's the best way to slim down my thighs? I'm on the treadmill 3 times a week for 45 minutes each time, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm also eating right, and I've completley cut junk food out of my diet. Any help would be appreciated image

Thanks in advance.
    Cardio always help, but to trim your thighs and hips. So here's some leg workouts. Inner thigh workouts, hip abductions, hamstring curls, squats (which btw help curve your booty too ;)Stiff legged deadlifts, etc. Step ups are a good thing also, they are like a cardio+weight training exercise. And while you do these exercises, for you, you should do them in a 'circuit' training type of way. And what I mean by that is, go from one exercise to the other with a short rest time inbetween sets (i.e. 30sec-1min) and go back and forth and do about 3-4 circuits on these, mixed in with your other cardio/aerobic workouts. Hope this was a help image
  • sushiwhoresushiwhore Oldie Washington~Posts: 10,313Friend of Soompi

IDOL

if i pm you pics of myslef cnan you reccomend me soem excercises to do to tone my body up o_o
    Then I've concluded, that after many years of nothingness, I had found nothingness to be something.

• llee10789llee10789 Posts: 195Member
    I need some advice.

Stats
    5'5
    18 y/o female
    Korean
    bf % unknown
    started at a 36" waist//tight size 32
    dec 10th start weight: 198.8 pounds
    april 18th weight: 168.6 pounds// size 30

goal: 18% body fat, 120 pounds//size Small w/ 27 bottoms

At first, i started off lifting heavy weights with moderate reps (8-10 reps per set), eating chicken breast, broccoli, and oatmeal roughly 3 times a day, drinking my protein powder with a banana after a workout session. taking fish oil and a multivitamin.

then...i panicked and quit the whole "bodybuilding" lifestyle cause i didnt want to bulk. []

so now..i've been lost for about 6 weeks. what do i do? how do i get to having a 27 inch waist and weighing 120-130 pounds and looking athletic?

I was thinking of doing a cut diet...but i would like some more information on it.

of course my goal is to lose weight, but want most of that weight to be fat.

i was thinking of doing the chicken breast, broccoli, and oatmeal diet thing again but watching portion control and calorie control. [[severe calorie cut of 750, instead of 500....rounding down to 1700 calories for me to lose weight]]

workout- i'm not sure what to do. should i continue lifting heavy? should i do more cardio (log in longer sessions and more frequent) than lifting heavy?

i need your advice!

QUOTE(sushiwhore @ Apr 30 2007, 02:48 AM) »
    if i pm you pics of myslef cnan you reccomend me soem excercises to do to tone my body up o_o

Absolutely, also a picture of your 'ideal' body type so I can have an idea of what kind of physique your wishing to acquire.
    QUOTE(llee10789 @ Apr 30 2007, 02:58 AM) »
    I need some advice.

Stats
    5'5
    18 y/o female
    Korean
    bf % unknown
    started at a 36" waist//tight size 32
    dec 10th start weight: 198.8 pounds
    april 18th weight: 168.6 pounds// size 30

goal: 18% body fat, 120 pounds//size Small w/ 27 bottoms

At first, i started off lifting heavy weights with moderate reps (8-10 reps per set), eating chicken breast, broccoli, and oatmeal roughly 3 times a day, drinking my protein powder with a banana after a workout session. taking fish oil and a multivitamin.

then...i panicked and quit the whole "bodybuilding" lifestyle cause i didnt want to bulk. []

so now..i've been lost for about 6 weeks. what do i do? how do i get to having a 27 inch waist and weighing 120-130 pounds and looking athletic?

I was thinking of doing a cut diet...but i would like some more information on it.

of course my goal is to lose weight, but want most of that weight to be fat.

i was thinking of doing the chicken breast, broccoli, and oatmeal diet thing again but watching portion control and calorie control. [[severe calorie cut of 750, instead of 500....rounding down to 1700 calories for me to lose weight]]

workout- i'm not sure what to do. should i continue lifting heavy? should i do more cardio (log in longer sessions and more frequent) than lifting heavy?

i need your advice!
    First off I would like to say you are doing an awesome job and would like to congratulate you for losing all that weight in that time frame. image But I'm sorry to say but you've hit a wall. See, during drastic and sudden weight loss program such as yours and with your body frame. You will lose weight quickly at first (like you did) but it get's more and more difficult as you get closer to your 'what you should weigh by your height' status, don't panic, this is common.

I'm glad you know some of your stuff, so therefore my lingo won't be as confusing to you as to some people image

1st: your correct, for you height and weight, you need to be consuming about 1500-1600, 150-160g of carbs 140-160g protein per day. (now as you lose weight, adjust according, you need to be consuing about 1pd of protein per body weight)and you need to be spreading these meals to about 6-7 times a day. Your doing good with the fish oil, keep taking your omega-3 and omega-6, multivitamins like you said you are. Here's some different type of foods that might help you in your diet, so you can add variety to your meals. Here's some of my 'personal' favorties

Eggbeaters (liquid egg whites, 1 serving= 60cal, 0gcarbs, 6g protein) you can buy most of these from wal-mart
    Jack's link beef jerky (1 serving 80cal, 2gcarbs, 8g protein)
    starkish tuna (1 serving 90g cal, 1gcarb, 7-9protein)

that's just a few, you need to incorporate a little variety to your meals. Staying on the same eating cycle can be boring and you can be malnutritioned.

I don't recommend you to get on a cut diet. In all honestly, most people use cut diet when their preparing for a competition, granted, you can use it to lose fat. But as you should already know, cut diet is a means of drastically cutting out your carb intake it and it requires you to stay on a program where you constantly change how you consume for calories on a day by day basis. If you would like more information on it, I would glady telll you, but honestly I don't see you needing to be on a cut diet image

2nd: as for workouts, your doing awesome! I'd recommend you doing 5-6 exercises and 4 sets on each bodypart. But instead of lifting heavy, go for the high repitition/lower weights/short rest period workouts.

I.E. for your first set (after warm-ups of course) dumbell curls for 18reps rest 30-45secs, next set for 16 reps, repeat, next set 14 reps, repeat next set 12reps.

I think you should be on a program where you weight train 5 times a week and do cardio 3 times and have an off day once a week. How you do your training split is up to you, but don't train body parts that interfere with one another. (example don't train back and chest on the same day, don't do abs right after you do a leg workouts, etc.) As for you cardio, 1 hr to 1hr 1/2 on your cardio days, remember if you don't challenge yourself and the cardio workout is too easy, your not gonna burn as much calories and fat as you'd like to. If you run all the time and find that boring, trying jump roping(my personal favorite) it melts the fat away image Or joining some aerobic classes.

Hope I was some help, keep me informed image
  • Mikiko-xoxoMikiko-xoxo AustraliaPosts: 298Member
    hey there, I want to lose weight but I don't know how far I should go to get the right BMI. Err...the other thing is, are there easy ways to lose weight, when I say that I mean not going to the gym.

Like walking, jogging or skipping. Cause I don't have much time >.< LOL.
    QUOTE(Mikiko-xoxo @ Apr 30 2007, 08:17 AM) »
    hey there, I want to lose weight but I don't know how far I should go to get the right BMI. Err...the other thing is, are there easy ways to lose weight, when I say that I mean not going to the gym.

Like walking, jogging or skipping. Cause I don't have much time >.< LOL.
    Sure, you don't have to go to the gym to lose weight image You can workout from home as well, pilates and yoga are also great home workouts available to you as well. You need to do cardio (hence anything that raises your heart beat) to lose weight, you can jog, play sports anything active. Remember the key to losing weight is you need to burn more calories and your consuming, that's the main key, any other excess calories you take in and not burned off is stored as fat and you don't want that image

Your BMI depends on your height and weight. When you calculate your height and weight and the number you get, that is your BMI. You are underweight if your bmi is below 18%, normal if it's between 18.5-24, and your overweight if it's 25-29 and your obese if it's 30 or over. Here's a simple calculator you can check out. http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm
  • mizzymizzy Posts: 32Member
    Hi!
    Thank you so so so much for starting this topic!
    I have one question..I've been on a diet for about a month now
    I consume about 1300 cals daily. I've lost around 6 lbs so far. But suddenly today..i woke up and I've gained 2lbs since yesteday morning..I didnt eat a lot yesterday (1320 cals to be precise). But normally I consume most of my calorie during the day and have a light dinner. But yesterday, I was too busy to have lunch, so I had a heavier dinner (a slice of pizza and salad instead of just salad)..could this be the cause of the gain?
    I'm quite freaked out..since I don't think a slice of pizza is a lot of food at all..and if that can make me gain 2lbs..i'm so scared of Yo-yo effect.

Also..about exercise..I used to do cardio around 6 times a week but now that i'm limiting my calorie intake..i'm not sure what I should do at the gym anymore. I've seen some where that if you consume less that 1200 cals..ur body would start slowing down the metabolism which results in a weight gain
    so i'm just wondering if i'm taking in 1300 cals and burn around 500 at the gym..will my body start conserving energy?

sorry if my post is confusing!!
    QUOTE(mizzy @ Apr 30 2007, 08:34 AM) »
    Hi!
    Thank you so so so much for starting this topic!
    I have one question..I've been on a diet for about a month now
    I consume about 1300 cals daily. I've lost around 6 lbs so far. But suddenly today..i woke up and I've gained 2lbs since yesteday morning..I didnt eat a lot yesterday (1320 cals to be precise). But normally I consume most of my calorie during the day and have a light dinner. But yesterday, I was too busy to have lunch, so I had a heavier dinner (a slice of pizza and salad instead of just salad)..could this be the cause of the gain?
    I'm quite freaked out..since I don't think a slice of pizza is a lot of food at all..and if that can make me gain 2lbs..i'm so scared of Yo-yo effect.

Also..about exercise..I used to do cardio around 6 times a week but now that i'm limiting my calorie intake..i'm not sure what I should do at the gym anymore. I've seen some where that if you consume less that 1200 cals..ur body would start slowing down the metabolism which results in a weight gain
    so i'm just wondering if i'm taking in 1300 cals and burn around 500 at the gym..will my body start conserving energy?

sorry if my post is confusing!!
    lol, it's not confusing at all, don't worry image

And your sudden weight gain, do not even sweat about it. Weight fluctuation occurs all the time, if all of always looked on the scale 24/7 then we'd go crazy. It's nothing for you to stress over. I am how ever worried about the amount of calories your consuming, unless your around 4'10-5'0 feet tall and weigh around 100-110 pds then you are not eating enough.