Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Replies

• bombb_bombb_ BOMbb_ california, usaPosts: 1,283Member
    how do you guys cut your dogs' toenails?
    ive never cut my dogs' toenails despite having them for so long since their claws would naturally file down by walking/running/playing outside.
    but since im at school i cant do that, and my mom doesnt want to.
    i tried cutting their nails when i was back home, but to no avail; they wouldnt let me. i took hours sitting and lying on the ground and trying to play with them to get them tired so i could just flip them right over.

also, i dont know how to do it without cutting too deep. im afraid of hurting them/causing them to bleed a lot.

recently one of them went to the vet and had his nails cut--the vet asst did it so fast! but idk if $20 is worth it, plus my dogs Richard Simmons themselves when they see strangers (like the vet) too close to them (which is charged another $10 to clean up).
    f101fs.jpg2uhbtow.gif
  • AziraphaleAziraphale STOP CAT ABUSE!! Posts: 7,239Member

IDOL

bombb_ wrote on 17 January 2012 - 03:24 AM:

how do you guys cut your dogs' toenails?
    ive never cut my dogs' toenails despite having them for so long since their claws would naturally file down by walking/running/playing outside.
    but since im at school i cant do that, and my mom doesnt want to.
    i tried cutting their nails when i was back home, but to no avail; they wouldnt let me. i took hours sitting and lying on the ground and trying to play with them to get them tired so i could just flip them right over.

also, i dont know how to do it without cutting too deep. im afraid of hurting them/causing them to bleed a lot.

recently one of them went to the vet and had his nails cut--the vet asst did it so fast! but idk if $20 is worth it, plus my dogs Richard Simmons themselves when they see strangers (like the vet) too close to them (which is charged another $10 to clean up).

Don't do it if you aren't confident. Dogs keep their nails in check naturally, so I wouldn't worry too much. Once in a while, you can take your dogs to a pet groomer who will do the job, and spruce up your dogs nicely in the process.
    eight, say you love me, masterpiece
    finito: fragments gesture transient flowers name goodbye  
    CATS ARE LOVE!! STOP CAT ABUSE!! || STOP ANIMAL ABUSE & TESTING!!
    cookiesaur
  • MythnoonAMythnoonA Mi Guk Nuna Posts: 5,025Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited January 2012
    we used to take them to the vet, because only the first IW we had let my dad file his nails. He didn't need them cut as often because he was walked on the road. The mixed breed was no problem--tiny nails. Our two Labs weren't bad--but we've since had dogs that hate it...only one that would let us do anything..the rest hated it. Our current one is taken care of by our mobile vet, who started coming here to take care of our older one that we lost before we got the puppy. She had nail trauma left over from the psycho that had her before us (the creep would get mad at her if she didn't 'cooperate', and throw the nail cutters at her), and even though she wasn't crazy about it, she wasn't too bad with him...probably way less nervous (even though she loved going in the car, and seeing everyone at the vet's office--she didn't like what was done to her there)too. The puppy we have now loves him-but she hates her nails being cut--so she sometimes gets a little worked up. I haven't been able to do much with her nail-wise--I can hold her paws, and even put the nail cutters on them--but that's about it.

to us, it's worth having him come to the house just to do her nails.

ReckLESS_-- losing my animals has been the worst times of my life. Some of them have been my own (identified with me instead of being a 'family' animal), also like my own kid or sibling. It affects me every day. You never get over it, you just learn to deal with it better. You can't 'prepare yourself' (like some people have said to me, including past vets), and you definitely shouldn't detach yourself...it's hurtful and your child won't understand if you do-it doesn't work. like Aziraphale says...you just take care of them, and love them. TRY not to worry until you have to--it's never easy--then you just handle things the best way you can as they happen.
  • ~ BunnyliciouS ~~ BunnyliciouS ~ Mum OregonPosts: 26,309Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

edited January 2012
    Edit, I'll post this in humor section instead. Sorry!

• parkjiminparkjimin 우유빛깔 Posts: 771Member
    edited January 2012
    This is the first time one of my cats behaves likes this so I'm very worried. Since he was small, I sometimes found him ate geckos. Earlier, I saw the head of a mouse on my house. It may be my neighbours' cats but I'm quite positive it is my cat that ate the rat. I don't know what to do with him since I think this is getting more serious.

IDOL

parkjimin wrote on 24 January 2012 - 08:55 PM:

This is the first time one of my cats behaves likes this so I'm very worried. Since he was small, I sometimes found him ate geckos. Earlier, I saw the head of a mouse on my house. It may be my neighbours' cats but I'm quite positive it is my cat that ate the rat. I don't know what to do with him since I think this is getting more serious.

Cats like to hunt lizards and stuff, so it's not uncommon for your cat to be doing this. However, make sure that what your kitty is hunting and killing is not poisonous. If you notice your cat is feeling unwell, take it to the vet asap.
  • parkjiminparkjimin 우유빛깔 Posts: 771Member
    Aziraphale wrote on 25 January 2012 - 05:36 AM:

Cats like to hunt lizards and stuff, so it's not uncommon for your cat to be doing this. However, make sure that what your kitty is hunting and killing is not poisonous. If you notice your cat is feeling unwell, take it to the vet asap.

I saw cats catching and killing rats before but for them to actually eat one is my first. I see him as a cute little kitty so I guess this is a bit too much for me ^_^ Thank you for your reply.
  • inxomniainxomnia FunkytownnPosts: 1,100Member

IDOL

Just wanted to say that I love dogs and my dogs are all amazing <3
    cookiesaur
  • lgoonlgoon Posts: 37Member
  • cookiesaurcookiesaur Posts: 8Member
    edited February 2012
    I'm so obsessed with dogs and cute animals atm. Just look at my avatar. <3
    Here's a picture of my puppy who just turned 1 last January 26. :)
    Spoiler:
    Nutik
  • FlicksityyFlicksityy AustraliaPosts: 3,235Member

IDOL

cookiesaur wrote on 12 February 2012 - 01:46 PM:

I'm so obsessed with dogs and cute animals atm. Just look at my avatar. <3
    Here's a picture of my puppy who just turned 1 last January 26. :)

Oh my is that a toy poodle? I have a toy poodle puppy as well! She's almost a year old now - these photos were taken when she was merely 8 weeks old.

2-4.jpg

1-1.jpg
    정유미
  • Malice_KaiserMalice_Kaiser The Real ? Posts: 12,072Member

IDOL

^
    POODLES <3
    We have a standard poodle at home (BIG dog). He's adorable, and very smart, albeit a bit thick sometimes... I love him to death, and since I'm away at school I miss him~ Poodles are seriously awesome dogs.
    taijivn5.jpg
  • hisharihishari Posts: 1,779Member

IDOL

My pet rat had a stroke a couple of days ago. He couldn't get up and kept falling on his side, plus he couldn't eat but still attempted to groom himself while he was on his side. It was so heartbreaking :(

I had him humanely put down at the vet today and couldn't stop bawling in the waiting room. :tears:

IDOL

edited February 2012
    hishari wrote on 16 February 2012 - 11:17 PM:

My pet rat had a stroke a couple of days ago. He couldn't get up and kept falling on his side, plus he couldn't eat but still attempted to groom himself while he was on his side. It was so heartbreaking :(

I had him humanely put down at the vet today and couldn't stop bawling in the waiting room. :tears:

I'm sorry to hear that *hugs* If it makes you feel better, he's probably in rat heaven now, free of pain and having fun with his rat friends. Please take care.
  • hisharihishari Posts: 1,779Member

IDOL

Aziraphale wrote on 16 February 2012 - 03:28 PM:

I'm sorry to hear that *hugs* If it makes you feel better, he's probably in rat heaven now, free of pain and having fun with his rat friends. Please take care.

Thank you :)
    While I am sad, I don't feel bad because I know he's not suffering anymore.
  • Dazzle and DestroyDazzle and Destroy zBanned L.A, HongKong, TokyoPosts: 5,232Friend of Soompi

IDOL

381364_10150399532318797_521278796_8505166_1994980384_n.jpg
    my baby<3

Okay, so I've had my dog for more than half a year.. and he was potty trained, but recently.. he has been marking everything :( we're trying no marking sprays right now, i am not sure if its working since we've just had it for a couple days. I am thinking about fixing him.. do you guys think that will help? T_T My husband is kind of against it, but I need to do something about it quick since a baby is on the way, and I can't always clean up after the dog, esp since we have carpet.
    Please read the signature rules
  • MythnoonAMythnoonA Mi Guk Nuna Posts: 5,025Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited February 2012
    hishari~I'm sorry about your rat, too. It's the worst part of having an animal.

dazzleanddestroy wrote on 19 February 2012 - 01:13 AM:

*quoted image*
    my baby<3

Okay, so I've had my dog for more than half a year.. and he was potty trained, but recently.. he has been marking everything :( we're trying no marking sprays right now, i am not sure if its working since we've just had it for a couple days. I am thinking about fixing him.. do you guys think that will help? T_T My husband is kind of against it, but I need to do something about it quick since a baby is on the way, and I can't always clean up after the dog, esp since we have carpet.

Is he a Boston Terrier? Cute, and looks comfy there. lol it okay if I ask why your husband is kind of against it? How old is he? Is it possible that there's something that's upset him--something new, or noisy (or going on in the house) that he doesn't like ? We've always spayed and neutered our animals (especially since we never wanted to breed anyone) for the reasons below--

from WebMD:

Q: My dog leaves marks all over my house. If I neuter him, will that stop?
    A: Neutering a dog will decrease and could eliminate that kind of marking, which is a territorial behavior. That's what they're doing; they're marking their territory to ward off other male dogs that could come into it and get their female. So neutering may eliminate the problem. But there also could be other health issues or behavioral issues involved at this point. So it's a really good argument for neutering early, before the animal reaches sexual maturity and the marking behavior has become habit.

Q: Will spaying or neutering my dog prevent future illnesses?
    A: Yes, absolutely. In females, it greatly decreases mammarian cancer and completely eliminates uterine cancers and diseases. In males, it eliminates testicular cancers or diseases and can lower the risk of prostate cancer. Generally, spayed and neutered pets live longer, happier lives.

not sure what you use to clean the urine, but Nature's Miracle is really good. We've bought gallons at a time, and have been using it for years--it works better than anything we've ever tried. =x
  • Dazzle and DestroyDazzle and Destroy zBanned L.A, HongKong, TokyoPosts: 5,232Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Is he a Boston Terrier? Cute, and looks comfy there. lol it okay if I ask why your husband is kind of against it? How old is he? Is it possible that there's something that's upset him--something new, or noisy (or going on in the house) that he doesn't like ? We've always spayed and neutered our animals (especially since we never wanted to breed anyone) for the reasons below--

from WebMD:

not sure what you use to clean the urine, but Nature's Miracle is really good. We've bought gallons at a time, and have been using it for years--it works better than anything we've ever tried. =x

yes he is! :) my husband said no man should go through with it.. LMAO, i guess it's just a guy's thing, but he's finally getting convinced by me to get him neutered, i hope it fixes his marking :( getting dogs neutered is pretty expensive, but it's not as expensive as buying carpet shampoo all the time -_-

i use arm&hammer, and some other pet carpet formula.. I will try nature's miracle :) thanks!!
    Please read the signature rules
  • Malice_KaiserMalice_Kaiser The Real ? Posts: 12,072Member

IDOL

dazzleanddestroy wrote on 19 February 2012 - 08:35 PM:

yes he is! :) my husband said no man should go through with it.. LMAO, i guess it's just a guy's thing, but he's finally getting convinced by me to get him neutered, i hope it fixes his marking :( getting dogs neutered is pretty expensive, but it's not as expensive as buying carpet shampoo all the time -_-

i use arm&hammer, and some other pet carpet formula.. I will try nature's miracle :) thanks!!

Neutering is a a pretty easy process for male animals moreso than female anyway. Unless you plan on breeding them (lol, and I'm sure you don't because that would be a ton of work), I don't see any reason not to get him fixed. Good thing your husband gave in. :)
    By the way, if you live by any major cities (and possibly if you don't?) you may be able to find places that neuter for large discounts (almost like a charity type thing, for people who can't afford it). That's what we do with our animals. We have to drive almost half an hour away to Chicago to do it, but it's worth saving some money.
    taijivn5.jpg
  • checocheco Posts: 38Member, New Member
    My dog died two years ago and I had a dream a couple nights ago where she was still alive. In the dream, I was petting her and playing with her like old times. tears.gif
    squeakybombb_