Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Usc

littledude10000littledude10000 Posts: 129Member
usc thread
hello everyone does anyone here attend usc university of southern california in los angeles or is gonna attend here next yuear? if u do any of these two tell me how ur college expeirence and anything else about the school u desire.

Replies

• watcherwatcher Dubya A. Teacher city of angelsPosts: 5,829Friend of Soompi
    well, when i went...

-the professors are overall very friendly and more than willing to spend time over lunch or discuss one of the lectures you had.
    -campus was small enough to get to anywhere on campus within 10 minutes
    -lots of activities and clubs around campus for even the anti-social
    -great sports programs
    -lots of top schools in the nation (ex. film, communication, business/accounting, etc.)
    -right by koreatown : if you love korean food/culture, there's no better place outside of korea than LA
    -24 hour study library!!

i loved my years at SC. met some really great friends, and got lots of help from the SC community. a lot of my friends got their jobs through the SC connection, and it seems like the school's only getting better.
  • josebiwasabijosebiwasabi Lee Yoon Yeol Fighting! FLPosts: 1,016Member
    i'm currently a 1st year student there.

the campus is pretty nice. you'll come to appreciate how flat it is, because biking/skateboarding is very efficient.

i'm really enjoying my experience, although it's kind of hard to get good grades due to the grading curve in the science departments.

also, the school spirit is great. my high school was slightly lacking in that area.

oh, and the best thing of all: they give out a TON of finaid/scholarships.
    THE #1 NIIGAKI FAN
    올드의 자존심, 양대리거 이윤열!
  • KorowaKorowa Sound of the Nations Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,674Member
    I must be the only guys who had a bad experience, but it was only because I had went through some horrendous personal events throughout the college years, so what the other guys have said is basically true.

The 24 Hour library is a godsend, although near finals, good luck find a desk at night.

Just the surrounding neighborhood outside of campus might be a little on the "ghetto" side, but most of the buildings around the campus are inhabited by the students.
    Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.
  • s0urp@tchk!ds0urp@tchk!d norcalPosts: 601Member
    AH. wow. glad i found this thread.

i posted a thread about the "Thematic Option Honors Program" in the pre-college forum...but seeing as most ppl that look there...most likely aren't in college i'll ask here again. but here's the link if you'd like to respond in there and read my initial post: image

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120860

anyway. basically...i got in usc...was sent this letter about the program a few days later...anyone got some info. about it? got friends in it? experiences?
    IPB Image
    IPB Image
  • hyerim07hyerim07 Los AngelesPosts: 368Friend of Soompi
    I'm a second year at USC, loving every bit of my college experience. Watcher basically said it all image If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

I'm a communication / Spanish major btw.
    good day.
  • j i w o n.j i w o n. (C) Tesslovemusic ? ??? CALIF.Posts: 5,404Friend of Soompi
    what's a popular major at this school?
    how's the fooood? haha

i heard a lot of stuf fabout how the neighborhood is rather ghetto. haha
    does that affect your learning experience?
    do you guys feel scared/unsafe or something? haha

• faerie87faerie87 Los AngelesPosts: 469Member
    QUOTE (j i w o n. @ Oct 8 2008, 10:00 PM) »
    what's a popular major at this school?
    how's the fooood? haha

i heard a lot of stuf fabout how the neighborhood is rather ghetto. haha
    does that affect your learning experience?
    do you guys feel scared/unsafe or something? haha

the food is alright, not really good, it's pricey too. but off campus food also suck, all fast food!!!
    popular majors are business and film, and psych in usc.
    i'm a business and psych major
    also lots of engineers

the neighbourhood is pretty unsafe, nothing to do around here, you need a car, or befriend with someone in a car.
    anyone else go to this school?

i never walk after sunset, i bike.
    * Stellar-Parallax (A blog) *

* f a e ri e 8 7 ' s __b o u t i q u e *

Hco Miss Sixty F21 Coach Prada Guess Steve Madden Perfumes
    XS S M Clothing 20+ shoes & bags high end perfumes lots cheap

411 wants Flickr
    It's better to burn out than to fade away 思源
    ^ it's no westwood, but ktown and downtown are nearby. finding a friend with a car shouldn't be too difficult a problem. it's very much a commuter school. i think half the students are originally from LA to begin with. [though i could be wrong... just speakin from previous experience]
    edited January 2009
    a lot of the spring admits are definitely from the LA area.

but yes, a lot of people are from california, although i think the percentage has been steadily decreasing slightly over the past few years.

also, it's funny to see a post of mine for 2 years ago haha
    THE #1 NIIGAKI FAN
    올드의 자존심, 양대리거 이윤열!
  • faerie87faerie87 Los AngelesPosts: 469Member
    haha yeh, i was looking for a usc post, there's barely any usc students here? =(
    * Stellar-Parallax (A blog) *

* f a e ri e 8 7 ' s __b o u t i q u e *

Hco Miss Sixty F21 Coach Prada Guess Steve Madden Perfumes
    XS S M Clothing 20+ shoes & bags high end perfumes lots cheap

411 wants Flickr
    It's better to burn out than to fade away 思源
    there's a number of them. not as open as UC peeps though, but definitely around.
  • mz_yoone3kmz_yoone3k Posts: 851Member
    hey usc-ers

can any of you tell me about the health science facilities? i applied to usc and just waiting for the results. cross fingers*
    QUOTE (mz_yoone3k @ Jan 17 2009, 06:42 PM) »
    hey usc-ers

can any of you tell me about the health science facilities? i applied to usc and just waiting for the results. cross fingers*

no clue about HSC O_O i actually have never visited that campus. good luck though!

anyway, to any current high school seniors that have been accepted and are considering attending USC... now's the time to ask questions lol.
    THE #1 NIIGAKI FAN
    올드의 자존심, 양대리거 이윤열!
  • CaptainPantsCaptainPants Posts: 72Member
    wooooo sc lol

im a second year almost 3rd year now
    i think sc is ...okayyy (dont shoot me haha) but yah im an outofstater so i guess i dont quite fit the la scene

does anyone know of any good apartments that are close to the campus but not in the ghetto side and also has alot of eating areas around it? image

as far as unsafe...all i have to say is, i live in the apartment where that one student got stabbed to death and im also the building next to where a girl was raped =/ not to mention another one was assaulted 10 minutes away
    night classes are not fun lol

oh yah and im a fine arts major/3d art for games minor image
    edited February 2009
    ^ no such thing... haha... to the south is the garden/museum coloseum. there's nothing to the east but the freeway and factories. which leaves the west and north. the west sucks and is generally more dangerous [though students still live in that area]. most students live north of campus and there really are no options.
    CaptainPants: your only option is the north side of campus, somewhere bounded between vermont and fig to the W and E, jefferson and adams to the N and S lol.

and btw, that girl that got raped was extremely stupid. she let a couple guys that she had never met before into her apartment.
    THE #1 NIIGAKI FAN
    올드의 자존심, 양대리거 이윤열!
  • CaptainPantsCaptainPants Posts: 72Member
    damn i was afraid of that... the best bet for me and my friend then, is some apartments all the way in ktown

about the girl, i heard she was ganged up by some guys and they were like "heyy let us walk you back" and i guess you cant really be like 'no go away', cuz then they'd just rape you then and there, but yah she was still stupid for walking around late at night alone...
  • i-lv-jci-lv-jc Beverly HillsPosts: 10Member
    omg, I live way off campus in a safe area but I have to drive an hr to get to school, maybe 1 and a half hours sometimes...lol. but it's totally worth it. I would never hang around outside of campus...gehtto....except for getting some Mexican food...lol. I'm glad to see this thread........FIGHT ON! V

Female-3rd year.
  • inosarisinosaris Los Angeles, CAPosts: 59Member
    Ellendale isn't TOO bad. Some guys got mugged about 30 yards down though.
  • pri-Tpri-T San Gabriel Valley <--> USCPosts: 175Member
    I live on 30th Street. It's not too scary at all. My apartment building has security cameras and night guards. I have night classes every other Tuesday and I sometimes have to stay on campus for group project meetings or student org meetings. I don't walk home by myself after nightfall. The trams and Campus Cruiser are really the best options for students. It may be a bit of a hassle to wait 20 mins for the tram to come by or call Campus Cruiser, but it's a safer alternative than walking back by yourself after dark.

You just have to be smart about it.