The Official DSLR/DRF Threadⓥ

Guest erure

Let's talk about photography
I thought it would be nice for the tech forum to have a thread specialized for DSLRs and DRFs (DRF = digital rangefinder). You can list what camera and other equipment you got [lenses, flashes, etc] and give eachother advice and whatever else~ >////<

Feel free to post up pictures you took with your beauties also :lol:

------------------

gearlist2.jpg

erure

flickr

Leica M9-P (chrome)

Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1

wangta

Canon EOS 30D

Canon kit lens USM

Sigma apo Macro 150mm f/2.8 ex dg hsm

watcher

Canon EOS 5D

Canon EOS 30D

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

Canon Speedlite 430EX

joonage

Canon Rebel XTi

Tamron 28-75mm Macro

shiwi

Canon EOS Rebel XTi

Canon kit lens

Canon 50mm f/1.8

Tepper

Nikon D70s

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5DX

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

Nikon SB-600

lackluster

Canon EOS 30D

Canon EF-S 50mm f/1.4

Digital_Daum

Nikon D70

Tamron 28-75mm

ONe.ShoT

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Brusky

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Canon kit lens

Canon 28-135mm IS USM

chaosiii

Nikon D40

Nikon kit lens

Angie

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Canon kit lens

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Xarthan

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

mia1981

canon eos 40D

speedlite 580 EX II

17-40mm F/4 L usm

50mm F/1.8

xmyheart

Konica Minolta DiMAGE 7i

Pandem1k

Canon EOS 10D

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 24-105mm L

dorien

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Canon EF-S 17-85mm

j79

Nikon D200 w/ MB-D200

Nikon 50mm f/1.4

Nikon 85mm f/1.4

Nikon 105mm f/2.8

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8

Tokina 12-24mm f/4

Nikon SB800

Nikon SB600

Po1aris

Canon EOS 40D

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Canon 70-200mm f/4L

Canon 17-40 f/4L

Canon 50 f/1.4

Canon 85 f/1.8

Canon Speedlite 430ex

d0wne

Canon EOS 40D

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 50mm f/1.8

Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

negitoro

Canon EOS Rebel XT

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Canon 50mm f/1.8

Canon Kit Lens

Canon Speedlite 430ex

dot1q

2 x Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG HSM Macro

2 x Canon Speedlite 580EX II

epark1281

flickr

Olympus E-510

Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED

Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 ED

Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8

Jcpenny OM 135mm f2.8

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7

Sigma 30 f1.4 HSM

Vivitar D283

jeffy

Nikon D80

Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR

Nikkor 50mm F1.4D

hippo_sleekz

flickr

Nikon D40

18mm-55mm

55mm-200mm

Sb-600 Flash

Nikon FM-2

50mm

28mm

kandi

Nikon D80

Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR

darkmafiaguy

Canon XSi

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM

[Hyuni]

Canon EOS-1D Mark II

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM

Sigma 50mm 1.4

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Canon Speedlite 580EXII

haraharo

Canon EOS 30D

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

jacqg

Nikon D60

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

Yongnuo YN-460 Flash

Quantaray 251664959 28-90 mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus

Quantaray 251664264 70-210 mm f/4.5-5.6 Autofocus

rinCode

Canon Rebel Xsi

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Notes:

[+] They are listed in order of posting date

[+] Only DSLR cameras, digital rangefinder cameras, lenses, and flashes are listed (no accessories are mentioned)

[+] Some people did not mention the company that made the specific lens and usually I assumed it was made from the company of their camera

[+] If there are any errors, please write about it on this thread

[+] Please PM me to update this list because I don't want to flip through ~250 pages to find your lens T___T

[+] PLEASE BE VERY SPECIFIC AS TO WHAT YOUR LENS IS

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread is a very good idea!

i have a canon 30D with only the kit lens right now, well the USM version of the kit lens, but its pretty much the same thing. planning on picking up a few more lenses in summer though.

the 60mm macro is a nice sharp lens i was thinking about buying it before but i decided that if i did end up getting a macro lens it would be the 100mm instead, but great choice none the less.

n6415563_21842.jpg

the 60mm macro is a nice sharp lens i was thinking about buying it before but i decided that if i did end up getting a macro lens it would be the 100mm instead, but great choice none the less.

I know! I regret it now but for a newb like me a 60mm should do fine... I still haven't gotten it yet -- I'm hoping it will be here by Friday >/////<

Later when I save up money I want to get a good telephoto lens... But that's months later since I'm very poor right now <_<

Guest watcher

a shot i took recently

roadxx8.jpg

my box stash...

stufffn5.jpg

current gear:

canon eos 30D | canon ef 70-200mm f4 L | canon ef 85mm f1.8 | canon ef 50mm f1.8 mk II | canon ef-s 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | canon speedlite 430ex | manfrotto 3021B Pro tripod legs | manfrotto 488rc2 tripod ball head

hopefully as i get more experience and take better pictures, i'll add the canon 24-70mm f2.8 L, sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM and perhaps the canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM. (maybe even upgrade the tele to the 2.8 IS version, but i probably dont need to go that far.)

and since everyone's doin a self-portrait... i'll join in :P

selfii6.jpg

happy shooting ^_^

and since everyone's doin a self-portrait... i'll join in :P

selfii6.jpg

happy shooting ^_^

Puahaha I want to see watcher's face >_<

So I got my battery grip yesterday and it's so cool! And there's this thing I want to try out with photoshop [you know the one where there's like three of you in a picture] but my dorm room is too tiny ; _ ;

Guest watcher

Puahaha I want to see watcher's face >_<

So I got my battery grip yesterday and it's so cool! And there's this thing I want to try out with photoshop [you know the one where there's like three of you in a picture] but my dorm room is too tiny ; _ ;

actually, i've been wanting to do that for the longest time. ever since i got my tripod at least... haha

maybe i'll take some time tomorrow to do it... but life's so busy right now. it's not fair :(

only reason i can come here is because my job requires me to be connected all the time... hehe

anyways... my face? i've shown soompi more than i've ever have!!! lol

very cool. I've been thinking about picking up an XTi

If you get the XTi then get the battery grip because it makes it bigger and easier to hold, as well as give you twice the battery life ^^ And if you can spend a little more, try to get the Nikon D80 because it's better than the XTi imo '-'

Can someone please recommend me a good filter for my lenses to block out UV rays? Thank you... >/////<

Guest watcher

a lot of pros use b+w, but they're on the expensive side. tiffen is also a nice alternative and costs much less. a lot of people i know go with hoya though. they seem to be the most affordabe with decent performance. stay away from canon brand if possible :P

a lot of pros use b+w, but they're on the expensive side. tiffen is also a nice alternative and costs much less. a lot of people i know go with hoya though. they seem to be the most affordabe with decent performance. stay away from canon brand if possible :P

So if I got $30 and $40 filters from b+w would it be better than getting ones from hoya or tiffen with the same price? O_O And do I really need a filter?? +0+

I'm annoyed because

1. my macro lens was supposed to be here today but UPS delayed shipping until Monday

2. b&h photo lowered the price on the lens I got right after they shipped it to me -__-^

Guest Xarthan

If you get the XTi then get the battery grip because it makes it bigger and easier to hold, as well as give you twice the battery life ^^ And if you can spend a little more, try to get the Nikon D80 because it's better than the XTi imo '-'

Can someone please recommend me a good filter for my lenses to block out UV rays? Thank you... >/////<

oh really? hmm my friend has the D80, saw it at costco for 9xx.

Guest watcher

So if I got $30 and $40 filters from b+w would it be better than getting ones from hoya or tiffen with the same price? O_O And do I really need a filter?? +0+

I'm annoyed because

1. my macro lens was supposed to be here today but UPS delayed shipping until Monday

2. b&h photo lowered the price on the lens I got right after they shipped it to me -__-^

no, you dont need a filter. you should get a filter when you have a better idea of what you need from the filter. for example, a graduated neutral density filter when shooting sunsets. each filter will serve its purpose, but the most important part is that you fully understand what you need it for. outside of this, the only other real reason why most people buy filters is to protect their lens. most people dont really bother for lenses under $1000, and when they do buy, it's a high quality filter. this is because bad filters will really reduce your image quality noticably.

personally, i wouldnt get one. i've been thinking of getting one, but not for the sake of protecting my lenses, but more for the sake of the warmer color tone that it produces when taking the shot. perhaps when i do get an expensive lens, like the 24-70 L, i'll get one to protect it :)

oh really? hmm my friend has the D80, saw it at costco for 9xx.

i would've gone the D80 route if not for the canon rebates. the 30D costs roughly the same as the D80 after rebates.

i use my filters basically to protect my lens or for what i'm shooting, cuz i'd rather scratch a filter and pay like $100 or so to replace it than scratch my lens. you dont really need to have a filter though, just remeber if you're shooting at night take your uv filter off cuz it'll make all these green dots and stuff on yur shot. b+w or hoya are both good brands, you can go with either.

Guest watcher

why would I go Nikon vs Canon?

both companies make great cameras/lenses, and you probably cant go wrong with either.

-canon offers the flexibility to move onto digital full-frame

-nikon's flash systems are unmatched by canon.

-canon generally has better telephoto lenses for sports photography (spot them white lenses at sports games!!!)

-nikon's macro lenses are incredible (sorry minji... you could've been better off with a nikon for your macro!!)

-canon's noise performance is superb. nikon's not far behind, but canon really did it's homework

-nikon has been good about creating camera bodies compatible with ALL past nikon lenses, no matter how old

and the list goes on...

for most people, getting a dslr is a matter of what they used during their slr days, since you can re-use some of the lenses. but if you're starting out fresh, good luck!!! haha...

why would I go Nikon vs Canon?

Generally Canon has more vivid colors and better noise levels [up to 3200 ISO whoaaa haha] while Nikon has great camera bodies... I think overall Nikon is better ; _ ;

Oh ... nice idea ...

My dad bought me the same camera as you ... The Canon 400D.

I was totally against it ... I just wanted a nice cheap $300-400 dollar camera ... but he bought me this ... >.<

But I won't complain ... Visits from Korea next week, bringing the camera with him.

I'm really going to enjoy this camera though ... :)

You guys got some nice cameras. My dad still got his old school Nikon something(Need to check the name of it later)...I seriously don't like its functions and they're confusing as heck.

But! I do like my Nikon Coolpix 7900 even though it's digital.

Have you guys develop your own films and stuff? Can I get any tips on developing films? I often get my negatives all scratched up so when I develop the pictures, there are scratches here and there.

Have you guys develop your own films and stuff? Can I get any tips on developing films? I often get my negatives all scratched up so when I develop the pictures, there are scratches here and there.

Honestly I've NEVER developed film before and I don't even touch film cameras ^^;;;;;; I have this one fisheye camera from lomography and that's about it... Digital cameras have spoiled me too much... But my friend's really into film photography and she usually borrows a dark room that rents them out [hourly sessions and whatnot] to develop her own film which I think is awesome but much too daunting for me. Should have taken high school photography T___T

Oh ... nice idea ...

My dad bought me the same camera as you ... The Canon 400D.

I was totally against it ... I just wanted a nice cheap $300-400 dollar camera ... but he bought me this ... >.<

But I won't complain ... Visits from Korea next week, bringing the camera with him.

I'm really going to enjoy this camera though ... :)

I hope your dad doesn't get ripped off... Tell him that the camera should not be over a grand... Because my dad [who doesn't know anything about cameras] just waltzed into a camera shop and probably said something like "I want a DSLR for my daughter" and they ripped him off badly. He paid at least two hundred more than he should have -__- [i could have gotten a 30D!!!;;;] I try not to think about it too much because I think "If he had just told me what he was going to do it would have been a lot better for the both of us" but yeah.

It's really daunting, this whole DSLR thing. I'm a total newb at it -- you should have seen me with my Nikon D50 when I first got it ^^;;;;;; But the pleasure you get from taking that one amazing photo is what drives you to learn more, at least imo ^^a

Honestly I've NEVER developed film before and I don't even touch film cameras ^^;;;;;; I have this one fisheye camera from lomography and that's about it... Digital cameras have spoiled me too much... But my friend's really into film photography and she usually borrows a dark room that rents them out [hourly sessions and whatnot]to develop her own film which I think is awesome but much too daunting for me. Should have taken high school photography T___T

Ah! You should. It's pretty fun, but very time consuming and your hands and sometimes clothes come out all smelly with chemicals :P

But it's a fun experience and you learn how to be patient with taking pictures and creating them. I'm still learning how to be patient and take some GOOD quality pictures. Lately I'm just taking random stuff so I can turn them in to get credit.

Digital cameras spoiled me too. They're great, but sometimes you can't get the manual control compare to a regular normal camera that takes film.

Oh! Here are my best night shots so far with my NikonCoolpix 7900. I really wanna get DSLR, but I'm flat broke. I also recommend you guys to get tripods. I had to take these pictures without tripods. I used these stumps and they were helpful, but I wish I had a tripod. Tripods keep the camera still to take clear shots. Last week, Wal Mart had a tripod sale that came with a bag and everything for 30 bucks.

thespot1.jpg

thespot2.jpg

Archived