Studying Abroad

Guest dark_chancellor

Guest dark_chancellor

I know some of you are already studying abroad, while others are planning on studying abroad. This is an experimental thread - ie, I don't know how this will really work, but I think it's a neat idea if it does take off.

Anyway, I just wanted you guys to be able to post questions here about studying abroad, share experiences, etc etc.

If you've already got a place in mind, try to build your network here!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eh, why not? I'll jump start this thread:D

WOOHOO!!!! I just got an e-mail from my school that I've been selected to study at Yonsei in Korea for the summer! Although it's not official yet since Yonsei has to confirm, my school is giving me permission to go. I'm so excited yay!

ummm....not sure what you mean but

it's 6 weeks at Yonsei. I have the option of staying in the dorms. I can take up to three classes for a total of 13.5 units (which i plan to take advantage of to get rid of some of my GEs). Other than that I'm not sure what else is to come until I go to the workshops for more info. Either way, I'm so excited I get to go! It'll be my first time ever traveling outside of the US (besides Canada, but that doesn't count).

Guest pikapika

ummm....not sure what you mean but

it's 6 weeks at Yonsei. I have the option of staying in the dorms. I can take up to three classes for a total of 13.5 units (which i plan to take advantage of to get rid of some of my GEs). Other than that I'm not sure what else is to come until I go to the workshops for more info. Either way, I'm so excited I get to go! It'll be my first time ever traveling outside of the US (besides Canada, but that doesn't count).

an congrats

im planning on study in korea too but im having diffculties

i can decide if i want to do it for a year or for a semester

and im having trouble finding a good school

im a film major and i think it would be grea to get some film credits there

and if i dont ill probably end up being a super senior since there are a million film credits required at my school <_<

Guest Tropical Paradise x3

I was wondering what college level (freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior, other, etc) should someone go?

Because I'm starting as a freshmen starting from Summer 07 and I'm just 16 so it would be really difficult for me to go anywhere since I'm underage. & I know this is a stupid question but how do you apply as an exchange student? Or is it the same as if you were a resident of that country? Can I get a scholorship? Would it have to be from (insert)country or would I have to find an American program which gives scholorships to people studying aborad? Wait..is there even such a thing :unsure: I personally don't know anyone who has done this, and I have no information of this at all so thanks for putting up with me >___________< :sweatingbullets:

i will be entering college fall of 2007 and im really interested in studying abroad in a different country.

i wanna do it like in the summer, how much do you usually have to pay to go?

do you have to pay for like your food, airplane ticket, room/board, tution?

if other people experienced studying abroad, could you tell me how much it cost to do it?

thanks

Guest autumnyaar

I'm studying abroad starting this September in Cairo, Egypt at The American University in Cairo.

I'm going for the whole year, and maybe another if I'm too in love with it after that, heh. I visited the campus over the summer and I loved it. ^^

I decided to directly enroll in the college though, because it was cheaper, and the credits will still transfer back to my school. It's going to cost me 15,000$ tuition plus 3,000$ for a dorm the whole year (and the dorm is awesome.. free tv/cable/telephone/nurse on call/housekeeping/T1 internet/gym) plus a few extra costs for health insurance blah blah..

I don't think its too expensive because the tuition would be about the same here and the dorms with all of those benefits would NEVER be that price. I don't need too much money for spending either, because meals are served in the dorms for cheap and you can eat cheaply there.. and pretty much everything else is cheap as well.

pikapika- i was thinking of studying in s. korea too, for film. i would love to do some internships or whatever in that film industry. if you find anything good.. let me know!

I was wondering what college level (freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior, other, etc) should someone go?

Because I'm starting as a freshmen starting from Summer 07 and I'm just 16 so it would be really difficult for me to go anywhere since I'm underage. & I know this is a stupid question but how do you apply as an exchange student? Or is it the same as if you were a resident of that country? Can I get a scholorship? Would it have to be from (insert)country or would I have to find an American program which gives scholorships to people studying aborad? Wait..is there even such a thing :unsure: I personally don't know anyone who has done this, and I have no information of this at all so thanks for putting up with me >___________< :sweatingbullets:

You can apply whenever. I think most programs require that only sophomores+ can go (prolly to cut down on applications to allow people a better chance to go). Career wise, you should aim to go before you're a junior so you can use your remaining summers/smesters/quarters to apply for internships/jobs/research opportunites/etc to apply towards your career. Unless you're like an asian studies major or something to that effect where going abroad really would apply towards your major. You can still definitely go as a senior or whatever, but that's just my advice.

Because I'm starting as a freshmen starting from Summer 07 and I'm just 16 so it would be really difficult for me to go anywhere since I'm underage.

No, I don't think that it would be difficult. Just when you're applying for programs and stuff you just need your parents to sign those consent forms.

& I know this is a stupid question but how do you apply as an exchange student? Or is it the same as if you were a resident of that country?

You apply through your home institution to go abroad as an exchange student. You usually have to apply for visas and stuff once you know you've been accepted abroad. You should go to your program office at your school to get more details on application procedures.

Can I get a scholorship? Would it have to be from (insert)country or would I have to find an American program which gives scholorships to people studying aborad? Wait..is there even such a thing

It really depends on the program/country. You can scholarships/federal aid/loans wherever, but for more specific details you should check with the program you want to apply to and your school's financial aid office.

hahaha ben might already know this but.......I'm in california studying and I'm from canada =P..hahaa school wise I like it better in california HAHA SORRY BEN!!! SCREW UBC LOLOL *not to offend anyone =P* LOL had to get away from my home and experience college life =) and what's out there..haha..I might go abroad for one year to europe..who knows =)

Guest donnylovesmusic

I'm planning to do study abroad at Ewha University in Korea during my sophmore year.

Just wondering if anyone had something to share about that certain region/school.

Guest kreeble

Hi, I've applied to study abroad at Yonsei, South Korea this fall. Anyone else planning to do the same? We should be friends :D

Well, I was thinking about going early to Korea a few weeks before school started and just messing around there before I started school. I'm concerned about visas and when they become valid. Does anyone have any idea of when visas usually become valid? If it's early enough, I can have some fun and maybe find an english tutoring job before I start school.

I was considering studying abroad however, the circumstances don't seem to allow this; also doing applications to transfer to other schools. If I get accepted into another college, wouldn't I technically have a 0.0 GPA because I would then be a student of "Y" University, instead of "X" College? Does anyone know anything out of this, or would I have to wait a full year for a real GPA to take root in my next university?

Guest donnylovesmusic

I was considering studying abroad however, the circumstances don't seem to allow this; also doing applications to transfer to other schools. If I get accepted into another college, wouldn't I technically have a 0.0 GPA because I would then be a student of "Y" University, instead of "X" College? Does anyone know anything out of this, or would I have to wait a full year for a real GPA to take root in my next university?

Incoming freshman of any college/uni technically has a 0.0 gpa. What they receive in their first year is their foundation or starting GPA.

Those that transfer schools usually have their GPA carried over to the prospective school.

However, I don't know about transferring to a school that is out-of-country.

I finished my FAFSA; it's completed and I have an EFC of 0. I checked online and people said it's good because I can get a full ride etc.

I want to study at Yonsei for a year, however my college doesn't have a thing with Yonsei? What should I do?

Guest Skeptrix

I'm about to do a study abroad in Korea soon. Soon as in a week, here - Soonchunhyang Uni.

looking forward to it. everything except the tuition (it is an exchange program) is paid for, as well as an attractive stipend every week (~150,000 won) :lol:

Guest mrs. pakman

i'm going to doing summer school in switzerland this summer.

i'm excited cuz we're going to go on field trips every weekend to different european countries.

and my cousin lives in germany so after i'm done with summer school...i'm gonna hang out with him.

Archived