Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Needle A Cure For Indigestion?

i noticed that in lots of korean dramas they tend to wrap their finger with a thread then poke it with a needle. does this really work for indigestion or is it just one of those korean drama thingy.

Replies

• LadytronLadytron Hattiesburg, MSPosts: 491Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

Hey! I've been wondering that too? Has anyone tried it? I found an article online by someone who did it.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007
    Sick? Find yourself a needle and thread.
    Like many Asians, I have major digestive issues probably stemming from my love of all things extra spicy and extra salty. Normally, my M.O. is to take two Tums with an Alka-seltzer chaser because there is no way I would give up the spice.

At a young age, I also learned how to poke, or ddah, my finger to relieve major indigestion. I am not sure if there is any medical research or proof as to the effectiveness of this technique, but it is a very old school, Korean thing to do. Apparently it is a pressure point that will relieve the build up of gas in your stomach. To start, have someone pound your back with the flat of their palm, in a downward motion. Then repeat in an upwards motion from the shoulder blade up towards the shoulder. By doing this, you are getting the blood moving. Then run your hands down one arm to send the blood down to your hand. Wait, it gets even more weird. Thus comes the tricky part. You have to wrap your thumb with thread so that you capture all the blood at your thumb tip. Then you skillfully and quickly jab the area right below your nail bed with a needle (I prefer a sewing needle, with the string attached to it). Hey, I didn’t say this wouldn’t be painful. The prick will slowly start to bleed and if the blood is a deep red, it is usually an indication of severe indigestion. Then repeat on the opposite arm/hand. The more blood, the better.

I’ve explained this to my non-Asian friends before and all I get are crazed, incredulous looks. But I swear it works! Five minutes after I poke my thumb, my indigestion subsides. Has anyone else heard of this? What other seemingly crazy but effective techniques to people use to cure ailments?

-Linda
    http://kimchimamas.typepad.com/kimchi_mama...find_yours.html

• annabeeleeannabeelee Posts: 2,224Member
    argh i hate doing that, it feels so good afterward but intentionally drawing blood...i cant do to myself. im not sure what medical research there is about it but it seems to work everytime. i mean im sure a whole bunch of people wouldn't still be making themselves bleed if it didnt.

the only people you need in your life are those that need you in theirs
  • S2JanieS2Janie S2----S2 Posts: 815Member
    This vietnamese lady made this thing with ginger, pineapple, brown sugar, and honey helps. She just shredded everything and put it in a pot and came out sticky but very yummy. Ginger is know for digestive help so if you don't want all the other stuff you can try drinking tea with ginger, or straight up and eat it.
    signature.jpg
    ♥Prettyandcute.com♥
    Dolly Wink || Lioele || My Beauty Diary and more!
  • aznjeff07aznjeff07 Posts: 336Member
    pepto..there's a lot of over the counter stuff at your pharmacy...if none of that works you can get prescriptions if it's really bad
  • plegend2007plegend2007 THE VALKYRIES Posts: 1,027Member
    Actually, it really works....

My mom has been doing that for me ever since i can remember and it always makes me feel better afterward. Usually when you get poked by the needle, some blackish blood would ooze out and i swear to it, it really works.

• MeenuhMeenuh Rageaholic Supernerd. City of AngelsPosts: 5,724Member
    edited February 2009
    This works. It works very well. I don't know why or how it works but it does.

When I was in elementary school I ate something wrong. I threw up everything and I mean EVERYTHING I ate. This went on for about a day or two until my mom couldn't take it anymore and did the needle thing. Of course I didn't want to but immediately I felt better. I stopped throwing up. It's amazing how immediate the results are. We only do this when our indigestion is very bad. That means we try this back thing (another thing we do to relieve indigestion that works very well. You lie on your stomach and someone basically pushes and if it makes a lot of cracking noises you have indigestion) it's like it releases the tension in your body or something. Immediately right after I do that I burp a couple times and I feel 100% better but anyways, we only do the needle thing when it gets so bad we can't take it anymore. When you do it when you have indigestion, the blood comes out extremely dark.
    Some say i'm a genius, others say i'm crazy
    but they all say i'm a little on the weird side
  • tinipinkitinipinki Posts: 133Member
    my mom's always been doing this to me everytime I get sick/throw-up. I'll be all dizzy, sweaty, and weak but after she pokes my thumb I feel way better and my stomache goes away too. Usually when I get sick, she pierces my thumb & she also imprints a cross sign on my thumb nails with the needle? The last part might just be a christian thing but both works for me :]
  • esskeighesskeigh Springfield, ILPosts: 844Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2009
    Drinking 7-up or any soda works, too. (:
    Then burping it out...
  • JUJU barJUJU bar Posts: 2,269Member

ROOKIE

LOL. my family does it so much and i'm easily prone to indigestion, so my dad bought me an actual needle-pen. you stick a disposable needle tip onto the pen and when you press the end of the pen, the needle quickly shoots and retracts and does its job.

sometimes, the whole blood-concentrating process hurts more than the prick because my dad hits my back so hard. lol.
  • Honey.beeHoney.bee ? beepPosts: 6,094Member

IDOL

Yes, it works simply fine. My mom does it all the time when she can't digest or have a upset stomach. I never tried it myself though, too scared of the pain. =P
    twitter
  • marasshimarasshi :D Posts: 3,310Member

IDOL

QUOTE (JUJU bar @ Feb 22 2009, 06:48 PM) »
    LOL. my family does it so much and i'm easily prone to indigestion, so my dad bought me an actual needle-pen. you stick a disposable needle tip onto the pen and when you press the end of the pen, the needle quickly shoots and retracts and does its job.

sometimes, the whole blood-concentrating process hurts more than the prick because my dad hits my back so hard. lol.

It's called a lancet.

I would never do this to myself. It is way too weird and I don't see how it can actually work. I usually just drink ginger tea when I have a stomachache.
    I collect walnuts.____________________ | Livejournal
  • x stylejjangx stylejjang VIP HOTTEST WONDERFUL ? KOREA.Posts: 337Member
    they do it to take out the bad blood in yur body.
    if yur blood is almost black or very dark red yu take it out & yu feel much better.
  • LadytronLadytron Hattiesburg, MSPosts: 491Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

My god, that must hurt. My mom is hypoglycemic and uses 'em to check her blood level. I've seen it and it makes me wince!

yeah, I'm kind of scared to try it, but I think I'm going to next time.

Do you do it like the article says? Gah, I'm going to see if anybody did it on youtube, lololol.

• MeenuhMeenuh Rageaholic Supernerd. City of AngelsPosts: 5,724Member
    QUOTE (JUJU bar @ Feb 22 2009, 02:48 AM) »

We have that pen thingy too! Hahaha.
    Some say i'm a genius, others say i'm crazy
    but they all say i'm a little on the weird side
  • annievilannievil norcal soompi<3!!! CaLi::BayAreaPosts: 1,277Member
    you can try hand reflexology. here's a pic...just pinch/massage the area of your hand where the stomach is drawn image

image credits to google img
    pls do not steal my avatar, just ask first :P
  • linuhhparkklinuhhparkk MRS. ok taecyeon Posts: 2,349Member
    yes, it actually does work.
    er..you don't really have to wrap your finger with a string necessarily.
    but yeah, it does image
    a00468464ba3a0fe655cesk.jpg
    ★ I believe in a 7 membered 2PM. ☆
  • CrushedDreamzCrushedDreamz Posts: 7Member
    I woke up this morning with indigestion, probably from what I ate for dinner last night. image I've been feeling bloated all day and just couldn't take it anymore. I've seen this done so many times on Korean dramas and movies, I decided to give it a try. I couldn't ask my roommate to help because she is afraid of blood. The massaging your back part to get the blood flowing, I couldn't really do myself. In lieu of that, I just did some stretches to get the blood circulating.. image I massaged my arm a bit, tied my thumb with a string, and pricked my thumb with a sewing needle. The blood didn't exactly come gushing out, I had to squeeze my thumb a bit to make the blood come out. The blood did come out a very dark color; I don't know if that's really supposed to signify anything because doesn't blood normally come out dark when it comes out in a larger volume? anyway, I repeated that with my other thumb. I did feel a lot better afterward, but it wasn't instant complete relief since I still felt a bit bloated. Overall, I think this really does work!

In my opinion, the bloating hurts a lot more than being pricked by a needle. Then again, I've never really been afraid of needles or blood...
  • larislaris Posts: 1,825Member
    The best way to treat GERD is through prevention.

Treatment

To prevent heartburn, avoid foods and beverages that may trigger your symptoms. For many people, these include:

* Alcohol
    * Caffeine
    * Carbonated beverages
    * Chocolate
    * Citrus fruits and juices
    * Tomatoes
    * Tomato sauces
    * Spicy or fatty foods
    * Full-fat dairy products
    * Peppermint
    * Spearmint

If other foods regularly give you heartburn, avoid those foods, too.

Also, try the following changes to your eating habits and lifestyle:

* Avoid bending over or exercising just after eating
    * Avoid garments or belts that fit tightly around your waist
    * Do not lie down with a full stomach. For example, avoid eating within 2 -3 hours of bedtime.
    * Do not smoke.
    * Eat smaller meals.
    * Lose weight if you are overweight.
    * Reduce stress.
    * Sleep with your head raised about 6 inches. Do this by tilting your entire bed, or by using a wedge under your body, not just with normal pillows.

Over-the-counter antacids may be used after meals and at bedtime, although they do not last very long. Common side effects of antacids include diarrhea or constipation.

Other over-the-counter and prescription drugs can treat GERD. They work more slowly than antacids but give you longer relief. Your doctor or nurse can tell you how to take these drugs.

* Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are the most potent acid inhibitors: omeprazole (Prilosec), esomeprazole (Nexium), iansoprazole (Prevacid), rabeprazle (AcipHex), and pantoprazole (Protonix)
    * H2 antagonists: famotidine (Pepsid), cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), and nizatidine (Axid)
    * Promotility agents: metoclopramide (Reglan)

Anti-reflux operations (Nissen fundoplication and others) may be an option for patients whose symptoms do not go away with lifestyle changes and drugs. Heartburn and other symptoms should improve after surgery, but you may still need to take drugs for your heartburn. There are also new therapies for reflux that can be performed through an endoscope (a flexible tube passed through the mouth into the stomach).
    Causes

When you eat, food passes from the throat to the stomach through the esophagus (also called the food pipe or swallowing tube). Once food is in the stomach, a ring of muscle fibers prevents food from moving backward into the esophagus. These muscle fibers are called the lower esophageal sphincter, or LES.

If this sphincter muscle doesn't close well, food, liquid, and stomach acid can leak back into the esophagus. This is called reflux or gastroesophageal reflux. This reflux may cause symptoms, or can even damage the esophagus.

The risk factors for reflux include hiatal hernia (a condition in which part of the stomach moves above the diaphragm, which is the muscle that separates the chest and abdominal cavities), pregnancy, and scleroderma.

Obesity, cigarettes, and possibly alcohol also increase the chance of GERD.

Heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux can be brought on or worsened by pregnancy and many different medications. Such drugs include:

* Anticholinergics (e.g., for seasickness)
    * Beta-blockers for high blood pressure or heart disease
    * Bronchodilators for asthma
    * Calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure
    * Dopamine-active drugs for Parkinson's disease
    * Progestin for abnormal menstrual bleeding or birth control
    * Sedatives for insomnia or anxiety
    * Tricyclic antidepressants

If you suspect that one of your medications may be causing heartburn, talk to your doctor. Never change or stop a medication you take regularly without talking to your doctor.

google health