How To "restore" Permed Hair...

Guest CRUNK n' B

Guest CRUNK n' B

dry, damaged, poofy, and frizzy.
Okay so i got a perm about a few months ago. In the past i have dyed it a lot. All of this resulted in dry, damaged, frizzy, poofy, hair. My perm didnt quite go away yet. Im seriously so upset with my hair, its not even funny. I used to have pretty straight hair, very easy managable, but now when i wake up and after i brush or anything, it results in poofy, frizzy, dry, and damaged. Does someone know how to get rid of a perm without going to the salon? Any tips? I realllllly need to restore my hair back so bad.

Of course when i straighten my hair, i just love it, but i cant necassarily do that everyday, i guess what i want is my old hair back without cutting it or anything. I really miss it. I wish i never got a perm, it seriously ruined my hair. Its so high maintenance i cant deal with it anymore. So please anyone help with getting rid of a perm without going to a salon or anthing. Tips? Advice?

Thanks so much in advance.

P.S.

Also if anyone knows what that stuff is called that u put in ur hair that gets rid of the color, so u can have ur nautral hair color, that would be great too. :)

ackk~ my hair is damaged too><

i regret perming my hair but at the same time i love it hehe

would love to hear how to treat damaged permed hair as well :)

hahah you know what i used to straighten my hair like everyday and it was sooo frizzy my hair was it was unbeliavble.

but then when i got a gym membership, my mum said i should do those hot oil treatments on my hair using the sauna.

she said that if you buy thoses little hot treatments i should let it heat up in the sauna, and obvouisly when my hair is wet,

and when the oil is heated out it all over my hair and leave it on for a few minutes with a towel over my hair.

(this makes the process better and creates more heat which then the your hair becomes more healthier)

after this just shampoo and rinse your hair out and try to do this once in 2 weeks or so, and yuor hair should be more healthier and shine better. hope that helps. ^_^

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_enlarge....0&imageid=1

i use this one above ^ hehe

Guest rong_con88

I don't know how you could get rid of permed hair at home except grow new hair and then cut off your old hair :D

My hair is damaged too because I did permanent hair straightener for the past few years nonstop---the results are that my hair is now dry, damaged, not frizzy but burned....my hair color is like light brown as if I dyed my hair.

I don't know if the result of damaged hair from permanent hair straightener is similar to the result of permed hair, but my advice that you don't do anything involving chemicals or heat to your hair any more because it will only damage your hair more--especially don't use a straighten iron any more.

From my experience, the only thing you should do right now is nurse your hair back to health. My hair stylist told me to use CHI shampoo and conditioner the type for damaged hair I forgot the exact name for it, I think it was something for Infrared treatment and shampoo. If you could you should get deep conditioner twice a month. And keep your hair away from chemicals and heat.

I have been nursing my hair back to health for 6 months already and my hair grows for like 2 inches and I could see the damage---really bad compared to my natural curly and frizzy hair my straightened hair is dry and burned.

So if it helps you

Guest Dreamss

ohmyghosh, same thing happened to me!!

and i wanna find a way to fix it!! its like BURNED@!!!

OHMYGOSH I WAS SOO DEPRSSED AND MAD AT IT -0-;!!$#@$#!!$@#$#! RAWRR

Guest j_dimsum

That happened to me. :tears: I was so freakin' sad because I used to always get compliments on how healthy my hair was until I got that straightening perm... <_< Well what worked for me was Infusion 23 shampoo, conditioner, and the leave-in treatments... my hair is healthy and shiny again and it doesn't feel like dead grass. :) It worked for me, but it might be different for different people. Infusion 23 is for thin or normal hair.

I hope that helped? :sweatingbullets:

Guest mz simmonz

omg same thing is happening to me. I permed my hair in July and prior to that I dyed it a lot so my hair is insanely frizzy and damaged. well I know I can't "get rid" of it but I wash my hair every other day with a moiturizing shampoo and conditioner (Pantene Restoratives) and I try not to straighten it all the time as much as I do love my hair straightened, sometimes I just deal with the perm by tying it up in a bun or putting a little product in it and put a headband on, it actually looks pretty cute plus at least my hair won't have to get tortured by heat styling all the time. usually perms take 1.5-2.5 years to fully grow out depending on how fast your hair grows but thats how long it took all of my friends who had perms before. Meanwhile I guess just take advantage of the perm by experimenting with different hairstyles..it's high maintenence but at least we have the option to leave it curls/waves or straighten it right? ooh also get it trimmed a little like every month or two because the ends can get so dry.

Guest Medusa

I regularly colour my hair every 3 months for many years and I had just permed my hair 2 months ago.

I maintain the health of my hair by deep conditioning after washing it. Once a week, I will use Himalaya Health's hair oil by leaving it in over night. The next morning, I wash my hair and rinse them out. Sometimes, I use their protein hair cream.. it promotes healthy hair growth too..

After drying with towel, I never fail to use hair serum .. most brands is effective as long as it is the transparent serum/oil kind. After the serum. I use my regular hair mousse for curls and volume

I find that by sticking to this routine, my hair tends to be restored .. not to the original healthy state (quite impossible if you always perm or colord your hair).. but at least, it is not frizzy or over-dry.. with split ends. With this I can afford to change my hair colour very 3-4 months .. once you get into the routine, it is not hard to do....

I find that with permed hair, we can experince more hair stlyes.. I make use of all the hair accesories that I bought from Korea.. like those chopsticks kind, hair claw, hair bun double-leg stick, magnet clips .... the list goes on...

Guest trixtah

That happened to me. :tears: I was so freakin' sad because I used to always get compliments on how healthy my hair was until I got that straightening perm... <_< Well what worked for me was Infusion 23 shampoo, conditioner, and the leave-in treatments... my hair is healthy and shiny again and it doesn't feel like dead grass. :) It worked for me, but it might be different for different people. Infusion 23 is for thin or normal hair.

I hope that helped? :sweatingbullets:

infusium*--and yeah, that stuff is great :)

Guest 정유미

oh i had my hair permed once, too! at first i loved it and people were saying it looked nice but then it started getting really frizzy and it easily tangles..>.< good thing only the ends of my hair were permed, though... a haircut was all it took to end the nightmare, LOL... so i guess wait for it to grow out and then you can cut it? iunno, sorry...><

my hair is insanely damaged. i can relate. i use dove shampoo and that's all the tricks i got in my bag. i guess the only real solution is wait it out. let it grow out and :snip:

Guest stellabella

There is nothing you can do, sorry hun. It's ridiculous to even think you can get okay hair again. The only way you can get healthier hair is to chop off the perm and regrow your hair out. Trust me, I've had a perm and learned this the hard way.

Guest m oochi b oochi

when i was over my perm. i just let it grow back out, it was still curly/wavy/frizzballing, but then after more straight was showing, i chopped off the wavy parts at the bottom and continued growing it out, after that i didnt do anything to it except like washing my hair and stuff, but like no straightening, dying, blowdrying, etc. and now its straight and shiny and pretty again. took at least 5-6 months for me cuz my hair grows slowwww. hope that helped a little.

Guest Joannnnnnnna

The thing is, you CAN'T restore your hair. Your hair that you have messed with is LITERALLY dead and just hanging there. Your hair is only alive in the hair follicle in your scalp. There is nothing you can do to make it like it once was, only your new hair that is growing out at a turtle-speed rate will be normal and undamaged. There is nothing you can do to make it longer, even various hairdressers and health websites have told me this.

But, there are shampoos that fill in those cracked and damaged spaces. It really is best to just be patient and when your new hair gets long enough, to hack off the old damaged stuff. But anyway, get the smooth-and-silky "repairing" shapmpoos, like Pantene Pro-V, and they should help. Don't go spend $20 on a bottle of shampoo because that is crap. Believe me, I have done it before. If anything, use shampoo and always condition after (NEVER condition alone, that's gross! Your hair must be clean first!). Leave it in there for 60 seconds, and then rinse it out.

Anyway, if you've read So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld, they describe the bleaching and dyeing of hair well: "Bleach is acid, the great destoyer. You see, each of your hairs is protected by an outer layer called a cuticle, which holds in the pigment that gives hair its color. The purpose of bleach is to destroy these cuticles so that all the pigment falls out. It's quick and dirty. Like smashing a bunch of fish tanks to release the fish, it leaves a mess. That's why if you go on to add coloring, a little bit swims down the drain every time you take a shower. Your fish tanks are broken." And if you don't bleach your hair, and just make your hair darker when you dye, you are "just adding more fish, not getting rid of the old ones."

Perming doesn't break you fish tanks, so to speak, but it does pretty much set them afire and burn them into place.

Guest stellabella

The thing is, you CAN'T restore your hair. Your hair that you have messed with is LITERALLY dead and just hanging there. Your hair is only alive in the hair follicle in your scalp. There is nothing you can do to make it like it once was, only your new hair that is growing out at a turtle-speed rate will be normal and undamaged. There is nothing you can do to make it longer, even various hairdressers and health websites have told me this.

But, there are shampoos that fill in those cracked and damaged spaces. It really is best to just be patient and when your new hair gets long enough, to hack off the old damaged stuff. But anyway, get the smooth-and-silky "repairing" shapmpoos, like Pantene Pro-V, and they should help. Don't go spend $20 on a bottle of shampoo because that is crap. Believe me, I have done it before. If anything, use shampoo and always condition after (NEVER condition alone, that's gross! Your hair must be clean first!). Leave it in there for 60 seconds, and then rinse it out.

Anyway, if you've read So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld, they describe the bleaching and dyeing of hair well: "Bleach is acid, the great destoyer. You see, each of your hairs is protected by an outer layer called a cuticle, which holds in the pigment that gives hair its color. The purpose of bleach is to destroy these cuticles so that all the pigment falls out. It's quick and dirty. Like smashing a bunch of fish tanks to release the fish, it leaves a mess. That's why if you go on to add coloring, a little bit swims down the drain every time you take a shower. Your fish tanks are broken." And if you don't bleach your hair, and just make your hair darker when you dye, you are "just adding more fish, not getting rid of the old ones."

Perming doesn't break you fish tanks, so to speak, but it does pretty much set them afire and burn them into place.

Actually, I strongly recommend you DO NOT do this. Cut as much as the damaged parts you can without being too unsatisfied with the length (I'm assuming your hair has grown out at least a good 4 inches because it takes a while for perms to get nasty like that. They generally stary pretty for at least a year). Because it is so damaged that your ends will start to split like crazy and if you don't take care of it properly, it can further damage the healthy part of your hair. Cut it off now and save your hair! Trust me I went through the same thing. Although the perm was absolutely beautiful in the beginning, I can't say the end result was worth it all. I will never perm my hair again <_<

Guest ladyjoyce

I dont know if you girls know, but you cannot dye and perm your hair at the same time or within 6 months or so. Because the chemical in the perm and dye will jus mess up your hair. The chemical just dont go together. Your stylist or which ever salon you go to should've told you this. If not, dont go there ever again because they jus want money.

Guest ah_sal

Seems like you have a very bad hairday everyday huh?

well no need to worry

do u use conditioner after shampoo?

well most people do.. i use it too =]

it makes hair more easily manageable and makes it less frizzy and damaged!

there are a lot of products out there which help.. maybe u should go to chemist or some hairstyling place and ask for a product that suits u well.. u can try on various products and see which ones are the most effective!

i recommend u not to dye your hair again.. permed hair could result in frizziness and tangliness as well..

so if your perms grow, cut them .. umm well trim them.. so they mite end up being healthier cos a trim does good stuff!

it prevents split ends from splitting and it makes hair grow faster and healthier!

u shouldn't straighten your hair.. just let it grow then chop it off

condition your hair and leave it in for around 10 or 15 mins... it should do good..

use umm.. my mum uses this hair thing which makes it silky smooth.. after u wash your hair and dried it.. apply a hair product which makes it silky smooth and no tangly ends.. just ask people to help u look for them in shops.. they will recommend a good product for your hair =] then u will have healthier hair.. all the time!!

oh yeah.. don't wash ur hair too late.. as it doesn't dry 100% so when u sleep it gets all tangly and stays that way.. LOL that happens to me too >< it's annoying and when u wake up in the morning, hair goes all tangly and frizzy when u try and brush it.. don't yank on your hair.. otherwise it will fall out and cause more frizziness.. like when hair breakages start to occur. just wet hair and condition it a lil.. give it a wash and it should brush nicely^^

hope the advice it good enough!

Guest jae!fany

the FIRST time i got a straight perm my hair turned out silky and nice. it used to be frizzy and annoying. but the second time, like a year later, it was a diff. lady who permed it and it turned all frizzy and nightmarish on me, so i have to straighten it everyday now. i know that's bad, but i really cannot walk out of the house without straightening my permed hair or else i look like a monster. i use shampoo and conditioners, i use this japanese one called Lux? i think it helps ok. but what kind of leave in treatments can we use? i totally know what you mean though, lol waking up and looking at your hair and going T_T.

Question! When you get your hair permed is it possible to prevent the later damage from happening? Like using moisturizing shampoos and conditioners then following up by deep conditioning every two weeks or so? I was thinking of perming my hair straight and after reading this i'm just wondering if it's possible to prevent the later damage from happening?

Archived